Getting your GL and others on your bike lift backwards

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
I put the Rats Nest on my lift backwards so that I could clean up the front end for the VJMC Rally last week and almost damaged her doing it by myself. I couldn’t get the front tire up the ramp or hold the handle bars at the same time while pulling backwards. I finally managed to engage first gear with it far enough up the lift that the front wheel was on the ramp and now couldn’t roll back down. I then jacked the ramp level and was able to roll the bike back to the wheel clamp which would not open wide enough for the rear tire. I managed to get the Rats Nest on it’s centre stand and ratchet strap and walk it back far enough to get it in the clamp after I cut the clamp fixed side support stay. As I need to do the CBR fork seals I decided to modify my lift so that this whole process was no longer an issue.
Wheel clamp mods
Ramp attached to the front of the lift and the safety bar/handle on the rear
Bike strapped down and up in the air on the lift backwards

The only thing I didn’t mention is that I put a block under the front end of the lift so it didn’t tip up when I was riding onto the lift.

Cool mod! I've got a professional lift that was made by some italian outfit, and aside from the fact that it leaks oil, and the down-control is extremely touchy, it's a handy thing. I would NOT (because of the down control) consider putting anything bigger than my 400 Suzi on it...

But it's definitely got me considering my options when I build the service section of my shop. I'll have an in-ground lift strong enough for a 10k pickup truck, I've considered making the setup with some sort of a motorcycle platform, or if I'd be better off making a second station with dedicated lift for motorcycles... but regardless of how I do it, I won't be laying on the floor to work on, or under my two wheelers...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211943#p211943:1gqo7me8 said:
DaveKamp » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:35 pm[/url]":1gqo7me8]
Cool mod! I've got a professional lift that was made by some italian outfit, and aside from the fact that it leaks oil, and the down-control is extremely touchy, it's a handy thing. I would NOT (because of the down control) consider putting anything bigger than my 400 Suzi on it...

But it's definitely got me considering my options when I build the service section of my shop. I'll have an in-ground lift strong enough for a 10k pickup truck, I've considered making the setup with some sort of a motorcycle platform, or if I'd be better off making a second station with dedicated lift for motorcycles... but regardless of how I do it, I won't be laying on the floor to work on, or under my two wheelers...
On one of the Valkyrie FB pages a member uses his lift and slings so the bike is fully in the air, I have used mine like a crane to lift up the bike for a front wheel removal. :yes: