Gl1100 Front brake bleeding tip

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an aftermarket master cylinder that is bad, I didn't buy it so I don't know where it came from. I got it on a bike that was given to me. By what I can see in your pic it looks like that.
Their are a lot that look alike but they will have too small a piston in them the link I sent you is for a goldwing specifically for 79-81 that don't have linked brakes not just any master cylinder will work been doing this a long time and this one works perfect for heavier bikes and it has a long arm and travel that the GL's need

Thanks for the info. I have heard of TC Bro before I think I am going to step back take a moment and decide how I am going to go forward. The company I got the other one from is sending a replacement. Guess that might just end up on the shelf. Thanks for all the help I have a lot to digest. I will keep you informed what happens. These brakes will not beat this old Marine. JohnB

Before you give up on a master cylinder, try priming the master with your thumb over the outlet. Open the hole when lever is going in, close the hole when releasing the lever. This will pull fluid from the reservoir into the piston bore, when it builds pressure, reconnect the hoses and bleed normally.

Their are a lot that look alike but they will have too small a piston in them the link I sent you is for a goldwing specifically for 79-81 that don't have linked brakes not just any master cylinder will work been doing this a long time and this one works perfect for heavier bikes and it has a long arm and travel that the GL's need
Well believe it or not I do know some things. The MC I mentioned is bad, it doesn't work and it is the proper bore size for the 80-81 1100s. It acts like the return hole is plugged but it's not, just something not right about it.

Well believe it or not I do know some things. The MC I mentioned is bad, it doesn't work and it is the proper bore size for the 80-81 1100s. It acts like the return hole is plugged but it's not, just something not right about it.
Wasn't trying to upset you just I kept having a problem myself that took me 2 months to figure out due to a mc I bought once I bought a high quality one all problems where solved . My issue was I had a brake but they just felt spongy like air was in lines then all the sudden the mc would not release ended up being the aftermarket mc bought a quality one and it's better than the originals I've rebuilt I personally will never fool with the original equipment anymore

I'm curious if your trouble was similar to mine even though it was non-oem parts. The piston(oem honda) was too long, so the return port was never open. Pump the brakes 10 times and they will be locked up. I shortened the piston and am still using that Mc (oem honda). I wrote a thread about it at the time.

I'm curious if your trouble was similar to mine even though it was non-oem parts. The piston(oem honda) was too long, so the return port was never open. Pump the brakes 10 times and they will be locked up. I shortened the piston and am still using that Mc (oem honda). I wrote a thread about it at the time.
I did the same thing. I carefully filled a bit off of the lever where it contacts the piston. It works perfect.

That is not the problem with the one I have. It for some reason doesn't allow fluid past the piston. If I put my finger over the outlet hole and pull the lever it will push fluid out but let go of the lever and the piston won't return, like I said like a plugged return hole but it's not. It is an aftermarket. I bet yours either had an aftermarket lever or piston.

Latest posts