gl1100 need some help.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st1ch35

Reaction score
Okay I'm new here so I dint know if this is in the right spot.

Last night I was moving my 2 gl1100s neither has ran in over a year, I was having an issue with 1 of them going from neutral into gear pretty much by itself while it was being unloaded of the trailer. Then it wouldn't want to come out of gear back into neutral. Also the it doesn't seem like the clutch is working properly. If anyone had any ideas I'm all ears....I really hope I don't need to pull the drive train.

Any other tips for long term storage recovery would be great

id say the clutch plates are sticking is all but sometimes it can be difficult and somewhat dangerous to break them loose...seems there might be else going on though too going into first on its own seems not to fit clutch sticking....hmmmm

If plates are really stuck they can be removed without removing the motor. Putting itself in gear is new to me.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87601#p87601:2c2zxvup said:
st1ch35 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:56 pm[/url]":2c2zxvup]It seems to go into gear when it is bumped pretty good
Do you have a heel/toe shifter? Could be the weight of it is pushing on the shift lever?

I wonder if the centering spring is maybe broken? If it was, just the normal weight of the foot shifter would flip it into gear....no? :headscratch:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87609#p87609:z5yo5xfm said:
AApple » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:19 pm[/url]":z5yo5xfm]I wonder if the centering spring is maybe broken? If it was, just the normal weight of the foot shifter would flip it into gear....no? :headscratch:

There is a spring-loaded arm(bottom left of the pic) that serves as a detent to hold it in neutral. Could be that spring is broken.

Update.

I forgot to check the centering spring. The bike fired up off a jump start and ran on is own after sitting for over a year just took some fresh gas and ether. Tightened up the clutch cable and now it seems to go through the gears good now. Now I wanna do a tune up some brake work and I mot be able to do a short test run.

I do have a small issue with getting the rear brake caliper to Mount I'm trying to put 1 from an 81 onto an 83 but it seems like the mounting brackets are a little different for the lower mounting bolt like the 83 has a little bit of a lip whereas the 81 is more flush. Anyone got any ideas?