In between rain storms...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scdmarx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 Standard
Here's the first "virtual ride" video. Now (after the fact) I know I have to mount the camera straight. DUH!!! But I'm learning. The main thing is I had fun playing around with it. All of this was shot no more than 10 minutes from the house.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDd8uaBZCRU[/video]

Let me know what you think. Right now I'm trying to find different mounts for the cameras. And if the money ever allows, I'd like to come up with some HD equipment. But for now, the old Sony digital 8 and a GoPro Hero Wide Standard that I picked up used will do.

Anyone have any suggestions? :?: :idea:

:clapping: :clapping: Nice View, Im surprised the video looks so smooth, I figured for being on the engine guard it would of been shakey

Dan has a pretty good setup, He took apart a tri pod and mounted it to his handle bars, It has a nice handle on it for turning the camera around, Im sure he'll post some pics to show everybody :grin:

I think i like the camera being on the engine guard more, I really like the close to the ground look you get :clapping: :clapping:

BigAndrew":12iur3mo said:
:clapping: :clapping: Nice View, Im surprised the video looks so smooth, I figured for being on the engine guard it would of been shakey

Dan has a pretty good setup, He took apart a tri pod and mounted it to his handle bars, It has a nice handle on it for turning the camera around, Im sure he'll post some pics to show everybody :grin:

I think i like the camera being on the engine guard more, I really like the close to the ground look you get :clapping: :clapping:

These motors are not "thumpers". So that's not a problem. The problem I'm having is all the cracks and bumps in the road. That's what makes everything jittery. The GoPro comes with a suction cup mount, which turns out to be pretty useless on the windshield due to all the bounceing around, the video comes out all choppy.

This is what I'm useing on the engine guard https://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults ... fault.aspx
Unbelievably solid! I highly recomend it. It holds the weight of my Sony handycam with no trouble at all. But the weight of my Canon XL1s is obviously too much, as it wiggles around.

A swiveling tripod head sounds interesting! Imagine being able to turn to capture scenery or other bikes!

Being low to the ground has that certain affect. I was worried that the video might be boring with the same shot throughout. I'm thinking it really needs to be split up with different angles to hold the attention span.

Thanx for the feedback!

Nice video's.
What little bumps you get are nothing and hardly noticeable.

Interesting view with your helmet cam. Made me feel like I was standing up.
Got pictures of the mounts?

Mine is kinda jerky.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY2d32A1gtU[/video]

You have really inspired me to get a helmet cam. I have been looking at one from Cannon that seems pretty good, image stabilization is critically important and many of the new camcorders have that feature.

I use photo shop premiere for video editing, it is a powerful video editing tool, you guys have inspired me to get a helmet cam when I can. Think what an interesting video could be made with a few riders riding together all video taping the ride then editing it into one video.

I’m involved with the video production at our church, we take the input from three cameras and develop one video production. I’m really in the learning process at this point but find it really enjoyable.

OldWrench":2jappj5n said:
You have really inspired me to get a helmet cam. I have been looking at one from Cannon that seems pretty good, image stabilization is critically important and many of the new camcorders have that feature.

I like the wireless options-self contained battery type, but when I do it over again I'm goimg for the High Definition format. I know, I know, all it takes is money. :swoon:

I use photo shop premiere for video editing, it is a powerful video editing tool, you guys have inspired me to get a helmet cam when I can. Think what an interesting video could be made with a few riders riding together all video taping the ride then editing it into one video.

A short camping trip might be kinda fun. :party:
I started with VHS and 2 VCR's, when XP came along I discovered Windows Movie Maker. Then I needed more and upgraded to Pinnacle. I usually use 2 cameras and haven't really needed any more than 2 video tracts, so I haven't put out the bucks for Premire or Final Cut Pro. But I hope to someday. Pinnacle also provided me the opportunity to play with chroma key, which is a blast!

I’m involved with the video production at our church, we take the input from three cameras and develop one video production. I’m really in the learning process at this point but find it really enjoyable.

That's a good way to get a lot of experience in a short time, because there's always something going on. It all depends on how involved you get.

dan filipi":3k4f5hph said:
Sc, you have some beautiful photo's in your gallery

Did you do those sketches?

Thanks, Dan. I'm really just an amature who can't afford good equipment. The flip side is, I'm a damned perfectionist and I'll never be truely content with anything I do. Even my work at my job. I think that's why it's so hard for me to put any monitary value on what others in my circle see as talent. That and the fact that I'm so willing to help others and share information.
My wife thinks I'm stupid about that. She's probably got a point.

Yes, I drew those pictures. Unfortunately, those few saved in my computer are all that I have left of my artwork. And even those were emailed to me from a friend in Witchita, KS after some years of lost contact. Well, that and my little brother came out to visit from Arkansas and showed my kids the grim reaper I tattooed on his back in 1986. My brother wants me to start air brushing, but I'm trying to teach myself Photoshop CS and don't have the time or the place to get into that mode.

When the rain lets up later in the week I'll pull the cover off the bike and take a picture of the cameras mounted for you.

Dido on the pictures SC, really great. One talent I truly wish I had was the ability to draw or should I say an artistic talent. I’m using the older version of photoshop, premiere, and Elements, haven’t really got into elements yet.

We have a little in common, you are an auto tech, I’m a truck and heavy equipment tech. Actually grew up in the body shop business but got tired of spitting paint so went to working on trucks about thirty years ago, still paint for some extra bucks but don’t like straightening metal.

Speaking of Camera’s, the ones we use at our church are 3500 each but it is just amazing what you can do with them. I just seen a helmet cam that will shoot at 30 fps and 1080p (high definition) for about 350.

One thing I don’t really care for on the helmet cams is the field of view on most of them, they are all fixed field of view of around 100 give or take a bit. To me it really distorts the picture a bit much. However I can also see the reasoning behind it.

It started raining Sunday and dumped all night, and was still raining Monday. In the afternoon it cleared up pretty good. I got off work about 15 minutes early and got down to the breakwater just in time to watch the sun set on my way home.

It's gonna take a lot of work to stack those rocks back up!