Main fuse blown

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
30000 1979 gl1000 that had the dreaded main fuse give way. Seems this has happened a lot so first question is why? No added electronics. Low miles. Secondly is there a permanent fix or just carry plenty of 30 amp fuses? Thanks again. Been a long time rider and owner but only my second wing as the first was a 1984 Interstate back awhile. I think I like those one better.

That fuse should never blow if you have no added loads like driving lights added. There has to be a load somewhere that's exceeding the 30 amp capacity, or a momentarily shorting wire to ground. You'll need to look the wire harness over very carefully for a frayed or pinched wire.

Could it be just age? Say it was the original one would corrosion cause it to blow prematurely? It was in pieces but that may just because it was hot. Thanks again.

I understood it as repeatedly blowing. If it blew just the one time then it could just be age, the one I had on mine was brittle and fell off in pieces.

Mine also disintegrated when I touched it. 40 years of oxidation. I went to the local Honda Powersports dealer and they had them in stock. For $1.95 ea I bought two so I have a spare. Easier and cheaper than replacing it with a fuse holder. The original lasted 40 years. I think the new one will last as long as I need it.

Latest posts