Rev Counters between models.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianstaley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 79 wing has the three clocks across the dummy tank cover. The meters are toast, any meters I find on Ebay are not much better so I have found some VDO clocks that I like but the one that is missing from the series that I like is the temp meter. I have seen that on an earlier model there is a temp meter built in to the bottom of the rev counter clock. I make a simple assumption that these clocks are interchangeable but I would obviously need to extend the temp wiring to the temp gauge in the rev counter.

Ian :doh:

yeah, Voltmeter, its all loose inside and rusted on outside, Temp ditto, Fuel one of the mounting pins sheered off due to rust. So I want to use these

I think these look great , but they don't have a water temp in the series just a oil temp. So replace the three ion the dummy tank with the three fuel , volt and oil temp and use the temp in the revcounter.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99329#p99329:2hnmtw19 said:
ianstaley » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:04 am[/url]":2hnmtw19]
yeah, Voltmeter, its all loose inside and rusted on outside, Temp ditto, Fuel one of the mounting pins sheered off due to rust. So I want to use these

I think these look great , but they don't have a water temp in the series just a oil temp. So replace the three ion the dummy tank with the three fuel , volt and oil temp and use the temp in the revcounter.
That's a sexy gauge! :lust:

Yes I thought so too, they are VDO VW universal Royal White. I thought they would look good in the tank gauge pod. Well as an update I got a black faced rev counter with the temp gauge in it for 45 pounds sent, so I think I got a deal. So look like I will be fitting these three gauges in the pod.

Got a tricky question here anyone know the type of fuel sender in the tank? I haven't taken mine out yet as it is about 3/4 full with old (15 years) gasoline. anyone have a picture of the sender arm and ohms ?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99420#p99420:3vzl62gy said:
ianstaley » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:53 pm[/url]":3vzl62gy]
Got a tricky question here anyone know the type of fuel sender in the tank? I haven't taken mine out yet as it is about 3/4 full with old (15 years) gasoline. anyone have a picture of the sender arm and ohms ?
I wonder if that spec would be the same as an 1100?
I believe Steve83 has an 1100 sending unit he could test?

VDO say that the sender needs a special sender unit but it also says that it works 10-194 Ohm unit. Ian other wise need to get a VW sender a ALAS sender that is adjustable as taken from site...
ALAS Adjustable Fuel Sender 6 3/4-23", 10-184 Ohm

Maybe adding resistors to the circuit can get it working right. Anywhere near a right reading at full and empty is as good as any stock fuel gage.

so looking at the CMSNL site the float look quite similar. I will be taking the tank out soon 3/4 full of old gas so don't quite know what to expect, it still smells of gasoline so will still have to be careful. But I think the replacement from VDO should fit or could be made to fit without too many problems. shortest depth is about 6 and 3/4 inches. It is going to be all about getting the boom right.

Ian

You are definitely heading in the right direction Ian with a matched sender and gauge from VDO and making them fit the bike and tank. As senders are effectively variable resistors adding additional resistors just throws the range out and doesn't provide linear recalibration of the sender. :(

NO I would agree with that, although not an electrician (systems programmer ret) I have done something like this before but in a yacht for the water tanks and the fuel tanks. As you say far better to use the VDO sender and fiddle with that rather than changing the resistance of the rheostat. Bending the float and or shortening it to allow a full sweep sould be a walk in the park.

Humm just had an idea shoot through my head, ideal scenario is to cut a tank in half vertically, fit the send to one half and set the float accordingly, totally transparent and can even set it to allow for reserve. Then should anyone else wish to do this I could provide a pattern for the sender.