stator mericle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well im clueless but a stator that was testing totally grounded out to case has somehow came back to life ,,on this bike and its history I can believe anything when comes to electrical stuff ..like to hear some thoughts on this as to what might have happen for this to have happen ...my girlfriend did pray over it to be fixed ...ok tony where ae you id like to hear from you on this … you always been my stator guru for me and this bike :shock: :BigGrin:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207482#p207482:448jjhzl said:
desertrefugee » 16 minutes ago[/url]":448jjhzl]
Did it come back to life before or after you removed the engine?

Either way, my bet would be on poor connections.
Yeah, poor connections. Maybe question the testing procedure/device used earlier.

I’m not a believer in anything magically starting to work.

no never pulled the motor had carb problems to figure out and to make sure it was worth fixing the stator … it did have a bad connector the was put maybe two year ago ...stator always put out full load weather grounded to frame or to the battery as charge ..im a firm believer the stock connectors is just bad design period ..the wires and connector look good but melted cut all that off and tested stator wires all three ground out to motor or frame … after that I connected everything back up with wire nuts and while doing carb work and short runs keeping battery charge up for the past week id say … today or really last ride yesterday nearing dark I notice the hidelight wasn't diming when turn signal on ..today did a 50mile run stator still working good and for sure wasn't doing that before ,,so bike is now good it seems stator working ….

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207486#p207486:1twnrm11 said:
joedrum » 27 minutes ago[/url]":1twnrm11]
no never pulled the motor had carb problems to figure out and to make sure it was worth fixing the stator … it did have a bad connector the was put maybe two year ago ...stator always put out full load weather grounded to frame or to the battery as charge ..im a firm believer the stock connectors is just bad design period ..the wires and connector look good but melted cut all that off and tested stator wires all three ground out to motor or frame … after that I connected everything back up with wire nuts and while doing carb work and short runs keeping battery charge up for the past week id say … today or really last ride yesterday nearing dark I notice the hidelight wasn't diming when turn signal on ..today did a 50mile run stator still working good and for sure wasn't doing that before ,,so bike is now good it seems stator working ….
Should have a look at the regulator plug and wires also.

yes it was all wire nutted also but is now honda plug in or the clones of it ...I thought of all that ..seems that had nothing to do with the stator gounding out though when check it was before all that wiring ….somehow the stator ungrounded itself just hard to figure what did it

No luck with prayers here Joe. :BigGrin:
I am with the others with poor connections more likely the culprit and for me it is not usually the phase wires from the stator. Your stator windings ( phase wires) should only have a connection to ground when the stator insulation has failed. The circuit in the stator phases is only between themselves. :yes:

yes im thinking that way to tony ...seems like all three wire grounding like they were points to failure in the stator mount and insulated cushion before stator...so maybe it was very slight grounding to running like I did messing around with the carb it ..it ungrounded itself and started working ..it wasn't hooked up to anything on the bike when it was grounding out stator wasn't hook up to anything ...I put it all back together I guess hoping for a miracle and a eek later I got one it seems

stator still working fine ,,,who can figure ,,ive heard nothing from anyone that makes any sense with how the events went as I did things ...lots of unknowns in this electric stuff that can happen

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207537#p207537:31km587d said:
joedrum » 8 minutes ago[/url]":31km587d]
stator still working fine ,,,who can figure ,,ive heard nothing from anyone that makes any sense with how the events went as I did things ...lots of unknowns in this electric stuff that can happen
It’s only unknown until it’s understood, found, then corrected if needed. If nothing was done to fix the cause, the problem will likely return.

Had a problem a year or so back on my van. Randomly would go into limp mode.
I talked to mechanics, studied the error codes and wiring diagrams. It came down to a short to ground in a wire harness that had come off its body clip and laying on the alternator.
Point is, once I understood and found it, it all made sense. No Miracle about it.

the bike sat for a few days and started right up stator was charging good ,,and after just few minutes as I was busy doing stuff turned it off and battery registered over 13 volts ..things working good still ….

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207595#p207595:33q9amgm said:
joedrum » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:57 am[/url]":33q9amgm]
the bike sat for a few days and started right up stator was charging good ,,and after just few minutes as I was busy doing stuff turned it off and battery registered over 13 volts ..things working good still ….
:good: :clapping:

Glad it's working now, but I wouldn't trust it. If it "fixed" itself, it's not really fixed. There are many possibilities here...cooler weather causes metal to contract...flaked off insulation that was shorting now has a layer of oil on it...slight movement of the windings from vibration, overheated windings melted the insulating coating, then cooled in a different position...on and on. Electricity is a matter of microns, not millimeters.

I hope it keeps workin' for ya, Joe, but I'm with Dan on this one. Positive thoughts for ya!

Latest posts