Throttle cable lubricant

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

56michael

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Vetter Package
1982 GL 1100 Interstate
2016 Harley Davidson Fat Boy S
What product do you guys recommend for lubricating throttle, clutch and brake cables with. I think mine are stiff and dried out.

Others will have other alternatives, but on mine, I used brake cleaner down into the cables first, and worked the cables back & forth a few time to work the grunge loose, then blew that out with air. Repeat as needed. After that, I would flow auto trans fluid thru the cables, until it JUST started seeping out the bottom end, working the cables as it flowed down. Then applied a small amount of air to remove the excess. Works great on mine, both the 1100 and the 1500 cables.

I should have mentioned the method I used to both clean and lube the cables. I clamped a short piece of rubber hose onto the end of the cable....kinda like a funnel. With that I could spray the cleaner into the cables, and dribble the oil down thru the cables without making a mess, or spraying everything BUT the cables. Also makes blowing the cable out much easier. I tried to find the pics the other day, but I could not find them....found them just now.....(the gallery is a mess.)
39705-14-d50dcbedc693c5bae9ad3710575747c2.jpg

Last edited:
Years ago I learned a tip for cable lubrication. Take off the end that is highest on the bike. Take a baggie and cut off just enough of the bottom corner to get the cable though. Run the cable about 1/2 to 1 inch above the bottom of the baggie. I use tape to secure the baggie to the cable housing, rubber band will work also. If the inner cable is very dirty or sticky I run some sort of penatrant though it. Then repeat process with lube of choice. Here in Minnesota I stay with silicone type lubes or dry graphite if I have enough time to let the cable drip dry. Cheap fix. All I could afford to do when I was riding minibikes back in the 60's

Latest posts