At temp bike running high rpm

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bladequarter

Reaction score
When i crank my gl1000 it idles at @950, normal. After I ride it for a bit the idle rpms increase to around 2500-3000. What could cause this??

Look twice save a life, motorcycles are everywhere

Does the throttle actuate smoothly? Could it be slightly sticking? Have you ever lubed up the throttle cable?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144397#p144397:4evx0fqk said:
Bladequarter » 31 minutes ago[/url]":4evx0fqk]
Ok, just make sure they move freely??
Yes, push back lightly toward seated position and see if there's any movement.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144390#p144390:5w4xhbdv said:
Bladequarter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:12 pm[/url]":5w4xhbdv]
When i crank my gl1000 it idles at @950, normal. After I ride it for a bit the idle rpms increase to around 2500-3000. What could cause this??

Did you clean the C/V slides with any type of cleaner other than CRC or carb cleaner. I had this happen and the c/v wen't returning to the bottom from 1 sticking pulling the others along. 40 cal brass barrel cleaner inside and wipe the males down really well. Hope this helps . :hi:

Oh and I don't recall seeing any mention of the choke. Are you pushing that all the way back in after it warms? Is it in fact returning when you push the control back?

The choke is in, and rhe idle is correct until the temp gauge shows in the "normal"operating temp range . But i think i have it fixed. It quit doing it yesterday after i ran for 100 miles with carb cleaner in gas. Only today will tell.

Well, looks like i have to replace the head gaskets as well, the left one is leaking badly.. Sigh..

Nope, not complaining. Glad i own her matter of fact. Its just aggravating. Lolz. Thats what i get for buying a bike older than me. I love. It though

Latest posts