At temp bike running high rpm

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy both head gaskets and do them at the same time. Use ONLY OEM Honda parts for this job. Make sure you have everything super clean before attempting to put the heads back on. Torque them carefully, ride for a couple tanks of gas, then retorque and you will be good for another 30 years.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144390#p144390:mo8546ao said:
Bladequarter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:12 pm[/url]":mo8546ao]
When i crank my gl1000 it idles at @950, normal. After I ride it for a bit the idle rpms increase to around 2500-3000. What could cause this??

Does the bike idle back down after you come to a stop if you let it set for a minute? If so you probably have sticky CV slides under your carb caps. Those slides must actuate perfectly with no resistance. If they stick at all, then the high idle will create more vacuum slowing there return even more. When the throttle is closed the slides need to be able to drop back down to slow the fuel and thus slow the idle. I had this same problem with my 75 that was supposedly clean. When I took it apart the slides were a little "gritty".

It is vital to your stock rack that the internal components be surgically clean on the inside. If you clean the carbs but dont change your filter and fuel lines, you have wasted your time.

Latest posts