how old were you

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 18. Rode my mothers 125 Harley trail bike. That was 1969. Fast forward to last summer right after I retired. Sitting across the kitchen table from my 84 year old mom, she looks me square in the eye and says she's thinking about putting her 1968 Honda Dream 300 back on the road. She would save on gas running to town. I didn't skip a beat and told her whatever she wanted to do was ok with me. Lord I can only hope to be in as good shape mentally and physically if and when I reach 84.

I guess I was about 14 when I rode my friends BICYCLE with a Briggs and Stratton motor on it. His grandfather was a machinist and it was a first class job. I rode it all of 100 feet across the yard and I was hooked. My dad said "you won't own a motorcycle while you live in my house! THEN, when Dad signed me up for drivers ed in high school, he also signed me up for motorcycle ed. classes too! Who wouda thunk? We rode Honda 100 street bikes. Still couldn't have a bike, but I had the license! My girlfriend at college in the Adirondaks loaned me a Suzuki 380GT modified as a café racer in 1976 for the summer and then nothing, nada, only cages until 2002 when I bought my first bike, a well-cared for Honda Shadow 500...and now...the running joke is no one really knows how many bikes I have, not even me...and that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Attachments

• fleetsmall.jpg
    fleetsmall.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 97
My first was a Hodaka dirt squirt..must have been 10-12 , Dad and uncle had a Hodaka,Ossa,Guzzi dealership..I do remember riding a mini bike right into the river many years before...just couldn't let go of the gas.
I got better at it :mrgreen:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144662#p144662:p1hx510a said:
toytender01 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:28 pm[/url]":p1hx510a]
kept riding into the river huh :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Yea..through the cornfield first river was next.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144664#p144664:exshetb2 said:
zman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:36 pm[/url]":exshetb2]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144662#p144662:exshetb2 said:
toytender01 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:28 pm[/url]":exshetb2]
kept riding into the river huh :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Yea..through the cornfield first river was next.
we had a big old rosebush in our yard that I managed to park the minitrail in, I got mad cause my dad and my sisters wouldn't help me get out

I started riding around the age of 9, I was so uncoordinated I could trip over my own feet so dad bought me a Yamaha 60 mini enduro to teach me balance. I moved up to a Yamaha 175 from there and when I was 15 i bought a Honda XL 250, my first "road" bike. When I was 17 I briefly had a Yamaha XS 650 but it kept trying to kill me, so off it went to its next victim. In 1986 i bought my only brand new bike, a Honda Shadow 500, she was a thing of beauty, Scorpio Red and she just oosed sexiness. Then life happened and I woke up 20 some years later and realized I didn't have a bike anymore so I found my '78 Wing, a regal old gal that needed rescuing, and that's what I'm doing!

17 years old.xs 650 yamaha.my friend larry.put a car headlight on it.with ducttape.and ran a hot wire to coils.dad said,son don,t leave on that.you will be in the ground or jail.put girlfriend on back,and got pulled over 45 minutes laterbuy aurora,I'll cop,says where is your license.i say it's on the back of the bike..he called for patty wagon,and a towtruck.called mea smartass,and threw me into pattywagon..towtruck service. Cracked both cases. :fiddle:

I was 11 -12 years old, my dad got me a 69 Honda s90, had a blast on it. when I turned 14 I got a job at an ice rink where I played hockey. Drove Zamboni and worked the rental counter. made about 35 bucks every two weeks. Walked into a Honda dealership and bought a brand new 1974 cr125elsinore, my dad co-signed (I was too young to carry papers) and it cost me 32.20 a month. cash price was 750 bucks.

I was 6 when my dad brought home a Shriners mini bike he picked up at auction. I have since then had close to 50 different motorized cycles. My current 86 GW SEi being my fave of all time.
I hope to be riding till the day they put me away in a box, 45 years from now...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161935#p161935:2lbqfg4d said:
MetalMaxx » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:49 am[/url]":2lbqfg4d]
I was 6 when my dad brought home a Shriners mini bike he picked up at auction. I have since then had close to 50 different motorized cycles. My current 86 GW SEi being my fave of all time.
I hope to be riding till the day they put me away in a box, 45 years from now...
:yes: :good: :moped:

First 2 wheeler at age 9 Sears and Roebuck minibike with a might 3.5 hp Briggs and centrifical clutch.
Next at 11 a Cushman Eagle with a gearshift 2 speed trans and a 8 hp Techumseh and foot controls.
After that a string of dirtbikes then streetbikes and so it goes.

i was about 9 id say and my brother got s 32 suzuki 150 that i rode into a fence on my first ride from there i made several bikes from parts not made to go together ...some worked some didnt ....then got a honda cb160 ...that was a fine machine and i was hooked on sweet running motors after that bike .....had to be one of the beast bikes ever made by anybody......

I was 10, I think. Against Mom's wishes, Dad got me a Rupp minibike. I think it only took me a couple of days before I folded the rear fender up coming out of a ditch too hot. I rode that thing for a couple of years before "graduating" to a Hodaka B+. First street bike was in '76. Honda 750K.

Still get as stoked preparing for a ride now as I did over 40 years ago!

Latest posts