how old were you

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 14, got on, dumped the clutch, I then took off and sideswiped a tree..... Was bruised up, no major injuries. My friend said "wow! that was cool!", I however was not convinced it was until my next ride at 21.

Hi all............ I think i was a late bloomer to most when it came to the two wheeled world as I didn't get to do that until I was 16,but before that I i drove everything else as i lived on the farm and had many chores to do using tractors, combines ,dump truck,little dozers ,and on the odd occasion i drove the family car and farm truck to town even at the early age of 11yrs. old... The first bike I rode was a honda 65cc then to a 250 ducati, and then a 350 yamaha After that i had a long rest between not until i was married and had 3 boys i bought a 750 yamaha seems like a long time ago now..

I was 8 or 9 riding my friends Honda 50 then in 74 (I was 13 my father bought a new Kawasaki 100 on off road for the family to learn how to ride on it later became me first sreet leagal bike at age 16. I've owned and ridden many bikes since then and logged over 500,000 miles in the saddle, and still counting.

Although I assembled Hondas for an entire summer when I was about 14, I never rode until I was 21. Oh, I wanted to, but we just didn't have the money. At 21 I took my pay for reenlistment in the Navy and had a 650 TR6C Triumph chopper built (yes, without knowing how to ride). Luckily, it was a very easy bike to ride.

"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391345794367.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391345794367.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 152
I pretty much had a chopper just like that ...except bsa ....they are easy to ride I always thought ... if this 750 kaw twin in my doghouse was mine id be making like your bike in the pic ...sweet ... it was exactly what I wanted at the time.. and today id like to have another one ....

3 years ago I bought a TNG Venice 50cc scooter...beginning of the end. I've been on two wheels as my sole transportation. I put 3k on that, then bought a 150cc for another 1k miles. I began to realize what I really wanted was to be on a motorcycle. Took the MSR class and got a Suzuki GZ250...promptly outgrew that in 1k miles. About a month later I aquired a 1988 Honda VT800 that was pretty beat up, but I loved it for 1k miles till I was side-swiped while waiting to turn from a meridian. I was fine, he just took off the shifter and left peg...insurance totaled it. With that check, I got another '88 VT800 in prestine condition and put another 1k on that. Though it was a blast around town and shorter jaunts, I got tired of my ass hurting after an hour and decided I needed something more comfortable and built for longer hauls. Saw an ad on craigslist for a guy that had a '83 gl1100 he wanted to trade for something smaller... he'd bought it from his brother and turned out he wasn't comfortable with the bigness. After test riding it, I discovered that this is what I was looking for... to be in big bike world. So we traded straight across. It needed some TLC and not being a mechanic and limited in my tools and place to work, I could only do so much to her. It was still running strong when I sold it 3k miles later and picked up a sweet '84 GL1200 Interstate in excellent shape. Just turned 105k (I've just put 3k on it since October). I love this bike...runs awesome and feels great. I put new Saddlemen seat and E3's on her and had carbs rebuild. It's also had the stator replaced and wiring fixed up. Timing belt was replaced 40k ago and is still in good shape. Just the bike for me. I guess you could call it a Mid-Life Blast! :yahoo:

Attachments

• IMG_0894.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 143
Three doors over from the house I grew up in was a motorcycle/snowmobile dealership. Where they sold (at the time) Ossa, Indian, Kawasaki, and Artic Cats. Later everything was dropped except the Kawaski's and the Cat's.

Anyway, the dealership was a father and son operation and the son had a son that was a little younger than I was (2 years younger). Eric's first big present was an Indian 50 when he was either 5 or 6 (so I was 7 or 8) and it came complete with training wheels. Oh what fun that little bike was to ride.

my first bikw that actuall y ran was a Cushman powered Harley framed Italian s 2 stroke deal with a springer front end I put together somehow ... it was all me I know that .. my dad and brother were useless on frankensteining things together and just made fun of me ... but it actually had brakes went down the road and I got tickets to prove it .. unlicence bike no licence kid on top ... and a free tour of the police department given by the police chief ... he was quite inpressed with the build I think he laughed a lot though ... I think the fact I was about 10 miles from home had him a little worried about my free will I was expressing ... sheesh I wish I had a picture of that ... it was quite the build and the envy of my peers at the time ... :smilie_happy:

I was probably 11 when I asked my parents if I could get a motorcycle, they said that if I got one they would let me have it, but they would not get one for me. A year later after mowing many lawns and various odd jobs later I traded all my hard owned money for a old Yamaha H1 90cc twin cylinder road bike that I couldn't touch the ground when I sat on it, but it didn't matter because it didn't run anyhow. My father helped me fix it by pointing me in the right direction. I worked long and hard to get the various parts it needed, and never really got it running right. It only ran on one cylinder most of the time, and when the other one kicked in it would take off unexpectedly. My brother drove, and I rode on the back of his bike (an old Yamaha RD350) explaining the controls to me, then I was off on my own. At age 12, I was off riding. Smacked into a few trees in the woods, scratched myself up riding through the fields near my house, and spent from sun up to sun down on that bike many days. I loved that bike, and it was frankly a piece of junk, but mine (had fires in the electrical more than once, and bent or broke almost everything on it). My neighbors got brand new dirt bikes, that me and my brother rode more than they did, and I was forever hooked on motorcycling.

10yrs old my 1st bike a honda90 at 20yrs had a kawasaki z900 till i was run over by a car z900 unreparable me broken legs. in 2006 wife bought a new harley for me to get back into riding. wife bought the goldwing for me as she finds the harley not that good on long rides

My first bike was a BSA Bushman around '69. This was in Nairobi, Kenya. I don't think any made it to the US. In my eyes it was exactly what a motorcycle was supposed to look like. I spent most weekends learning how to keep it running through the next week! It was a great time and I learned a lot. I was 16 at the time.

Attachments

• BSA Bushman.jpg
    BSA Bushman.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 126
1st i drove at,,? young,,, was a red step through ?70 or 90 honda neighbors had,, we used to blindfold the rider trail riding, then make them tell where you were at,, .. then was a honda ,, think 70 that needed a set of points it never got,, that was short lived. Then a brand new red w white 125 cl, (dad bought) then a 175 cl (the one with the high exhaust) twin i rode alot was dads, it was older,, blue,, heavy,,,, windshield,, but just give it enough room,, and it was good for some high speeds,, had it to 90 once,, think it could go ten more under the right cond. Bought a blue 175 yammy enduro,, jetted and pipped,, it would run... Then a black 250 honda 4stroke single cyl. enduro,, then a blackngold 650 yammy twin... then a 1000 sporty

First time a neighbors home built mini-bike about 10 (who knows for sure) then as teen different borrowed dirt bikes, till 19 bought 1975 Norton 850 Commando (first 'My Bike')

Latest posts