2 is better than 1

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This week was the 1100's week...

Last night I started it up at the big Orange and White do-it-yourself moving place to head for home and I started to hear a knock. :shock: As I went to the stereo to turn it down so I could listen to the motor, I heard a clunk and a tink from the rear case area and then nothing.

The starter does not turn the motor, the rear wheel does not turn even if I try to bump start it. If I pull the clutch in, at least it rolls...

Perfect timing! This afternoon I am renting a trailer to take the 1200 to Niagara Falls for the weekend with my wife. At least I won't have to go too far to pick up my bike. I had to ask my supervisor how to deal with a broken down bike... Yeah, he rides a Harley: can you imagine what kind of fun we have every day?

I have owned it for more than 5 years now and it has over 118,000 miles on it (40,000 of them are mine) and this is the first time it has ever quit in such a way that I had to walk away from it. :crying: It will also be the first time that I am putting this bike on a trailer. :oops:

I guess my restoration plans are going to get moved up a little bit.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154337#p154337:2jypy8um said:
Dadster » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:16 pm[/url]":2jypy8um]
Tough luck Brian. Good you got the 1200. Enjoy your weekend.
+1 :doh:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154337#p154337:18kqzaga said:
Dadster » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:16 am[/url]":18kqzaga]
Tough luck Brian. Good you got the 1200. Enjoy your weekend.

Yep and then next week I can begin to figure out what happened and why. :head bang:

Failure of your 1100 sounds eerily similar to what Wes reported. I've been depending on my 1200 too.

Not sure V. It definitely sounded like the rear case was the source of the sound. Too soon to speculate and I won't have any time this weekend to do anything with it, so it will wait until next week.

Darn shame..It distresses me to hear these bikes failing, all I ever heard through the years is how Goldwings last, folks telling about the hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles..guess that is the exception.
Sounds a bit like a loose stator, I like to use medium blue locktight on some things like that, sets slow so gives time to torque to proper specs.

I came home from work, unloaded the 1100 from the trailer and loaded the 1200 onto the trailer for tomorrows trip. I need to cut the grass but the suspense is killing me. Cut the grass or look at the bike... look at the bike or cut the grass... Which one won out:

20150723_200001.jpg

Not sure if that is a crack in the rear case at the 12 O'clock position, but the threads from the rear case appear to be on the cap and the bolt that holds the rotor onto the shaft is sticking out the end of the cap. So much for changing carbs next week.

Fortunately fixing that should be relatively easy. Cover might be repairable but I'd opt to replace it.

"Right tighty, Lefty loosey" :doh:
At least it should be an easy repair! :yes: :beg:

Latest posts