1200 center stand mod.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roondog

Reaction score
Custom? I guess it would be to cut down the OEM center stand. I am thinking of doing this on my LTD. Any suggestions on where to cut and re-weld? Also, how much should I take out? The ole girl is cow to heff! Seriously, it is a real bugger to get on the OEM stand and takes alot of rocking to get rolling. In this case, if the wings a rocking, I don't mind the knocking. I might need the help to get her going.

^^^What he said. I had a devil of a time getting my bike on the center stand until I learned the routine of standing right next to it and lifting straight up on the bar in front of the left saddlebag. I agree if you have low air in the rear it'll be harder. Also - if you cut it down any, you won't be able to turn the rear tire.

I know what your saying, roon. They aren't easy to get on OR off the stand but if you cut the stand down it'll make tire change much harder. As if that's easy as it is....

Have you tried rolling the back tire onto a piece of 3/4 plywood? That helps some.

I haven't made any mods to the center stand as of yet. I want to make sure I am cutting in the right area. My rear shocks alway seem to have good pressure. Then again, my auto leveler sysytem goes a bit haywire sometimes but I never feel an bottoming out or over stiff. When the leveling system does work, I don't mess with it as I am usually one up with not a whole lot of weight variences.
Anywho, getting back to the ease of centering and riding off, I was thinking that cutting down the legs would be doable. Yea, if I need to have the tires off the ground, parking over a flat peice of whatever thickness and then get her up level would bring the tires off the ground.
I am suprised not to see or hear of any others who have tried to shorten the legs of the center stand. If I could find a ride off stand to fit my 85 LTD, I would probably buy it.
Yes again, keeping the bike level after parking does serve to keep the oil level, well......level so there is no migration to one side. Also, to help in parking of other bikes in tighter areas.
Basically, I am looking for a better way.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82906#p82906:22pzbmfu said:
ekvh » Wed May 29, 2013 4:37 am[/url]":22pzbmfu]I shortened mine by removing the pin, then carefully removing the stand and putting it in a pile in the corner.

+1 for reducing weight and another +1 for not actually throwing it away.

I use my center stand every day once you get the technique down it is pretty effortless to put the bike on it. I even saw a youtube video of a guy with one arm putting his GW on the center stand pretty effortlessly.

I love a center stand. On most new sports/ tourers you have to pay extra for them!

eric that was funny ... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: I live on a slant the centersand is nothing but a weapon with hair trigger or a tree rooted to the ground :cheeky: cant stand them ...to narrow for anything except level ground ....and getting it down sometimes is no one hand job at all :cheeky: :mrgreen: a very poor work stand is all I think its good for :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83829#p83829:23hd371b said:
Buck232 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:18 am[/url]":23hd371b]I even saw a youtube video of a guy with one arm putting his GW on the center stand pretty effortlessly.

How the heck does a guy with one arm ride a bike, anyway? :headscratch:
In circles? :hihihi:

I had to look....and sure enough....
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXGIc4-vN7Y[/video]
:shock:

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=83866#p83866:1qtsxqb4 said:
dan filipi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:32 pm[/url]":1qtsxqb4]Well he's using his left to hold the front wheel straight so not actually one handed.

Did he really have to undress to his underwear, Sheesh.
That and scratching his butt! Yuck! :roll: :headscratch: