1500 trans

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone know about the 1500 trans upgrade around 97? been lookn at a 94 an a 97, heard that the 97 has a heavier trans,, ? is that supposed to mean the earlier ones are too light? or had problems,,, ... kinda doubt it but its interesting

Have not heard one way or the other here. I do know that my buddy across the street who buys new Goldwings all the time has owned both and he never had any issues. His only comment about his 1500's was at one point there was frame cracking when they first went to aluminum, but Honda corrected that.

He now rides new 1800's and gets the new one every other year.

Yes and no. He trades them up all the time. He rides the daylights out them though. I believe he averages 12-15k miles a year on his bikes. Sometimes if he really likes one he keeps it longer. He had a few that he took up to the 100K mark. He rides nearly everyday!

the talk is there is trans issues like in 3rd and 4th gear on the earlier trans ...but i know nothing personally .. they are huge bikes and if doged all the time i guess they could have issues .. i bet most are fine ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169620#p169620:3n11ou3a said:
Trak » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:28 am[/url]":3n11ou3a]
anyone know about the 1500 trans upgrade around 97? been lookn at a 94 an a 97, heard that the 97 has a heavier trans,, ? is that supposed to mean the earlier ones are too light? or had problems,,, ... kinda doubt it but its interesting
1500 wings never had an aluminum frame the problem was with early 1800 frames
some report trans problems with early 1500 wings, I've never had a trans problem with my '93

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169625#p169625:b1w21ctu said:
detdrbuzzard » 31 minutes ago[/url]":b1w21ctu]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169620#p169620:b1w21ctu said:
Trak » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:28 am[/url]":b1w21ctu]
1500 wings never had an aluminum frame the problem was with early 1800 frames
some report trans problems with early 1500 wings, I've never had a trans problem with my '93

I know very little about a 1500 as I have never owned one. I have owned an 2006 1800 for 4 years and rode it 46000 miles it ran flawlessly.
Early 1800 models like 2001 thru 2003 or 2004 did have aluminum frames with some weld crack issues. There was a Honda recall and they either repaired welds or replaced frames as needed. There also were a substantial amount of complaints on 1800's of soft bent shift forks, but many blamed this on heel toe shifters. Personally I never had an issue but read of it often.

Valk trans were supposed to be a better unit, fourth gear is not as smooth as it should be. :nea: Mine has been the same since new, :roll: was lied to when asked if anybody else noticed this. :sensored:

Valk was the better trans upgrade, that corrected the unknown issues with earlier units. :roll:

Lots of discussion on this topic..early 1500 some had issues with 4th gear going out..bikes still run but one had to skip 4th gear..in late 96 Honda started putting vallerie trannies in the 1500's stronger tranny no more 4th gear issues.since then. Some bikes had the issue some did not..may have been user related..light touch VS heavy footed shifters..but definitely higher failure rate and always 4th gear.