1986 Goldwing 1200 Dieing after wormin up

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 86 Goldwing with 25,132 miles is shutting down after 10 to 15 minutes running. After it cools down it will start right up. I have changed the Ignition Control Unit and that made no difference. I don't know what else to try. This is my first goldwing and is in perfect condition other wise. If anyone has any ideas please contact me. Thanks Jason Rayburn

It sounds like the pulse generators are dying from the heat, that happens it effectively will shut off. CPU doesn't see crank spinning thinks it doesn't need to generate a spark. Seems somewhere in here I saw how to test pulse generators.

Thanks Mike. I will have to look that up. I don't know a lot about working on them but am learning as I go. Thanks for your help and hope I can find them.

Were still available a few years ago, picked up a new set for around $100 to have on hand, as new old stock items seem plenty full till they're not. New 84 pulse generators, have unavailable for probably at least 15 to 20 years. Have had a spare set picked up & installed, making a known good set my spare, as well as installing the control box I picked up, have extra set of coils, as well so good ignition parts are on hand, & most rarely go bad. Good luck with finding your pulse generators.

Didn't remember just how much they ran, & everybody doesn't get a shop discount, so thought a hundred should still cover it they were available.