76. Small oil drip from the timing covers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok so I finally have a bit of good news. When I got this bike back in February this year I did a compression test. i found it to have only 90psi. It was puzzling tho because each cylinder was the exact same. People on the forums told me to "ride it in" if it had been sitting. The bike only has about 30k miles on it. I did a test today, using the same tester, and found 130psi. That is a significant improvement. I only expect it to get better too. The bike was cold due to the right side head issues Im having. Im also confident that the PO botched the valve job pretty bad as well. Seems like now I need a good set of heads and some new gaskets. Hopin you can help me out Joe.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128870#p128870:p54dahay said:
dan filipi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:29 pm[/url]":p54dahay]
Things are looking up, good deal.

At least I know my motor isn't scrap. I didnt think i would be. Runs too good. Stands right up and says Hhhooooooonnnndaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Oh yea, i finally got my supporter badge as well. Thanks for managing a great forum Dan :builder:

I am still amazed how well Joe's recommendation of adding ATF performs :hi: :clapping: :thanks:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128894#p128894:185em2z5 said:
Ansimp » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:51 pm[/url]":185em2z5]
I am still amazed how well Joe's recommendation of adding ATF performs :hi: :clapping: :thanks:

I never added anything. Just rebuilt the carbs and ran it hard n fast, she likes that :music:

My MPG doesnt care for it, but thats why I have the 84 aspy as well.

Ok guys. So i finally got the broken head repaired, got my new gaskets, and am ready to put this thing back together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 83
Ok guys. So i finally got the broken head repaired, got my new gaskets, and am ready to put this thing back together.

Next question. Do the gaskets go on dry or do you put some adhesive on them? I have heard both. Also, i need the torque specks for both the head and the cam carrier. Does anyone know them? With a bit of work i may still be able to get some miles on her yet this year too. I think this may be the final piece of the puzzle. I have a theory that the bad gaskets were also causing the oil leak on the front seals by pressurizing the case. This may solve all the problems, or expose new ones.

well the head looks great if the valves pass leak down test and in the dark light test ...things look fine ....if the block is clean as good lll then gasmkets can go on dry easy and seal ... dont for get oil orffice and o ring ... clean bolt holes good brusch of some kind and shop vac the holes also ...evrything clean clen clean ... i use oil or grease on head bolts in light coat ... i also up the torquing to 45 lbs on head bolts and ever so so slowly up the torque in pattern shown ....i never use sealer between head and carrier and not saying its bad just dont it myself ...cam in carrier ... ok you can also do rocker shaft switch in head as this bring new shaft in play for rocker to work on ...rocker faces themselfs can be dressed a bit to easing edges they might have cam lobe too .. i always do this by hand....with a flex wheel ....that fit 4" grinders ... do cam also .. fitting everything back... head on ...the shaft switch on is not required at all ... ok thats enough blab :hihihi:

Sounds good guys. Thanks as always for all the info. I will be darn sure every thing is clean. Valves pass inspection. When the fluid was leaking i believe there was still some cam pressure holding the valve open ever so slightly. With the cam out evrything looks good. Can wait to get it all back together but i am going to take my time. I will build the right side first the. I will take the left side apart and do it up. Should be fun!

Just an update. I have the new gaskets on and every thing carefully torqued to spec. Cans and crank are all aligned. Tomorrow i plan on getting the belts on and making my valve adjustments. I will also install the radiator and fill the fluids. If all hoes well i should be able to start it up and maybe take a test ride. Im hopeful fir riding he fot work on Thursday mornin. I'll keep u posted.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131307#p131307:oplc01h3 said:
Steve83 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:57 am[/url]":eek:plc01h3]
Cool! Hope it's all good!! :beg:
+1 :yes:

Ok so here is the update. I got the bike started and it is running fine. I took it for a short ride and I developed a leak where the plumbing on the top of the head meets the pipe. I think the O-ring is fouled in there when I installed it. The book recommends some sort of sealer in there in addition to the O-ring. I did not use any sealer in there other than the O-ring. The left bank is holding fine but I had completely removed the fitting from the top, scraped the old gasket, made a new gasket, and installed. The right bank I was able to leave the fitting on, I did not want to scrape the gasket. When I installed the head I assumed the fitting would align the O-ring correctly, but I don't think it did.

Any tips on a sealer to use or should I just run with the O-ring?

Thanks guys,

May need a new o ring if it got damaged.
When I install those I smear Vaseline on it then slide in gently but firmly, careful to line up tube straight.
The mating metal must be very clean also.

Ok guys. I am sure the O-ring got fouled up. Its a nice quick fix. I did grease it up but like I said, the fitting was attached to the head when I installed it because I was trying to save the gasket. Thats what I get for not doing it right. I will get this thing straightened right out when I get home.

So to clarify, the O-ring should be plenty to seal everything so long as everything is perfectly clean, right?