76. Small oil drip from the timing covers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronko37

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a small amount of oil I have noticed on the floor after i park the 76, just a few drips. I pulled the radiator off today to fluch it out and check some other issues i was having and decided, what a great time to pull those timing covers. I am ordering new gaskets for the covers. I got this bike i. Feb this year and the PO listed that cam shaft seals were one of the things he fixed. I must say the seals themselves look to be new. However the belt housing area is not dry and clean like i would like it to be. Does anyone have a source for these seals and any advice on changing them? I dont think its gonna be a big deal if i dont change em but hey, im in there right. I want to clean and get this part of the machine tip top. Scratch that off my list. The belts are brand new FYI.

hmm i dont know wher to get them ... id say the seals are probably covered with goo instead of cleaning the surface .... good ... all the ones i have seen leak has always been this reason.... if you can take it apart clean it good and install without goo it will probably not leak

Thx joe. I'll give it a try. Btw, me and my dad had a great ride by you over Father's Day. Did 910 miles. It was awesome. Hard to believe its indiana in a lot of places down there

Got my cam seals from napa can't remember part number but it's listed on the what parts fit what list on the quick stats on this forum. On my phone now and hard to find things with this small screen.

Couldn't find cam seal on list on this forum but found the number for the seal I got for my 76 from Napa
ATM 211 7994

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122639#p122639:1047b8y0 said:
bronko37 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:36 pm[/url]":1047b8y0]
Thx joe. I'll give it a try. Btw, me and my dad had a great ride by you over Father's Day. Did 910 miles. It was awesome. Hard to believe its indiana in a lot of places down there

yea its quite different down here than the rest of the state

It's also possible the PO changed the seals without cleaning things up. The seal part # is 91209-371-003, and is 27mm x 43mm x 9mm.

Check the crank seal while you're in there. It's part # 91201-371-005, and is 35mm x 55mm x 8mm.

I was just gonna ask. Is replacing the crank seal just like doing the cam seals? It was all pretty cruddy in there. Not what you want to see in a belt housing. Should i just order all the parts and call it a wrap? Should i get these parts from the auto store or order from mother honda. Its prolly not too late to tack them onto my roller bearing order.

personally ...i never buy new seals ... the spring inside them has a joint and can be taken off ...and unscrewed and cut a little and screwed back making it grip the cam tighter ...sometimes they have a split in them on the outside part from aged i guess ...and leak there ... the split can be turn up to 12 oclock position and that stop them from leaking ... along with just cleaning up the seal and the pocket they go in ....i wouldnt mess with the spring unless i seen evidence of it leaking at the cam inner part ....

The only way to do that is to remove the cams and slide the seal off. The crank seal would require splitting the case. A lot of work to save an old seal. I got all my seals from Babbitt's (hondapartshouse.com). Their shipping is a bit stiff, but their prices on Honda OEM parts are pretty good.

It looks like they don't have the crank seal. :crying:

Do a Google search on the seal using "Honda 91201-371-005" and hopefully one of the suppliers has one. If not, maybe a search on the dimensions, 35mm x 55mm x 8mm will find you one.

Thats exactly what i was thinkin. Is the seal just like a lip seal? Harder outside body with a rubbery inner ring?

Thanks Steve. I had already ordered the cam seals. Even if the parts were dirty im still gonna have to sacrifice the seal to fix it.

I am also talking about cam seals. The main seal was an after thought. I figure i may as well change it aw well while im in there. I believe that all three seals may be leaking some. Is changing the crank seal just like doing the cam seals? I need to pull the central pulley off, sink a screw or two into the old seal, clean everything, install new seal? Sound right?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123243#p123243:1tb15t4p said:
bronko37 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:49 am[/url]":1tb15t4p]
I am also talking about cam seals. The main seal was an after thought. I figure i may as well change it aw well while im in there. I believe that all three seals may be leaking some. Is changing the crank seal just like doing the cam seals? I need to pull the central pulley off, sink a screw or two into the old seal, clean everything, install new seal? Sound right?
I've never actually done the crank seal but that method should work.

I googled "oil seal 35x55x8" and got lots of hits. Here's one of them
https://www.avxseals.com/Shaft-Oil-Seals ... aQodyxcAUA

Apparently it's not available from Honda anymore. It looks like the original didn't have a lip on its outer edge (looking at the parts fiche). If it did, you'd have to split the cases to replace it. If it's just a normal seal you can replace it fairly easily.

Alright guys. I got the seal for the main pulley. I replaced the other seals and put it back together, still leakin. I have taken it apart again, good thing cause there was some gunk in the coolant when i drained it. Anyway, i cannot get the central pulley bolt lose. Im on y way to get my impact wrench. However i was just curious if anyone had done this before and knew that the thread was a right hand thread. I could see honda making this a lefty due to the rotation and it being a main pulley. Just curious.

I looked on parts list but it did not say, just said 10x28 bolt
part no. 90021-371-000 doesn't say left or right hand.
sorry no much help,
dave

Attachments

• 0000504093.jpg
    0000504093.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 95