'81 1100 Standard - Restore and Sell

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love those carbies! :good:
Hopefully you will put to bed the charging issue as well. :yes: :clapping: :salute:

Next up is the charging issue. I pulled the RR plug and it was nice, clean and tight. No issue there. Pulled (or tried to pull) the stator plug. Yeah, you already know the story:

image.php

I do not have a spare plug. I prefer to add a new plug, but for this bike, it is going to be cut the plug and solder the wires. I have a whole bunch of brand new butt connectors that I bought for rebuilding the '82 wire harness. They are real cool! There is low melt solder in the center and they are made of heat shrink wrap. There are colored indicators inside the wrap that melt when it is sealed. You can see through when the solder melts. Just used my new heat gun set at 1000 degrees and it worked great! :music2:

image.php

Let the connections cool and started up the bike. Within seconds the battery was right back up to 14.60 VDC. :yahoo:

image.php

Time to start checking other electrical connections. Thought I would start with the dog bone fuse. Opened it up and "looky what we have here"!

image.php

Now that is a classic move if I ever saw one! No wonder the starter had a hard time when the engine was hot. Good thing I didn't decide to go for a ride! :hihihi:

Luckily, I still had a spare fuse from the old '82 wiring.

image.php

I'll let the next owner decide if they want to change the fuse and solenoid out.

I forgot to mention that the first thing we did this morning was pull the plugs to check for gas leaks. No gas in the cylinders! :yahoo:

After all of the electrical stuff was brought up to speed, I got the engine nice and warm and synced the carbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ildcIqEOF9s

I still have the pilot air valves set at 1 1/4 turns. Seems to be OK?

The carbs synced up nicely. I left the pilot air screws alone for now.

Buttoned up everything and we took her for a ride around the block. NICE! :ahem: :moped:

Shocks and forks holding air, brakes are working like a champ and the engine is nice and quiet! Still need to change the oil, check the final drive oil and debating about pulling the wheel to check the splines. Most likely will.

BTW, we are now officially taking offers for the bike if anyone is interested! :yes:

Just s few more minor adjustments and she is ready for the road. :rocks:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187406#p187406:gdc1btno said:
brianinpa » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:50 pm[/url]":gdc1btno]
Who knew that one strand of copper wire was rated for 15 amps. That's some good info to have there... :shock:
:smilie_happy:

I actually thought that they had doubled the amperage to 60 amps! :smilie_happy:

Bike sat for a few days and the garage cooled to 50 degrees so it was a good chance to test a cold start up. Engine fired right up with the choke all the way out, but there was a lot of popping going on in the air intakes. I never adjusted the pilot screws out past 1 1/4 turns. I called Pistol Pete and he gave me a lot of good advice! At a minimum, the idle drop procedure must be performed since I did pull the pilot screws out and they are not adjusted.

Warmed the bike up, and performed the procedure (pain in the butt!). In the end, the screws are nearly all the same at about 2 1/4 turns out each. Throttle smoothed out and the bike is idling nicely. Let it cool overnight again and during cold start today, no popping! :yahoo:

Note to self..........when the directions say to complete the pilot air screw idle drop procedure.......follow the directions. :oops: :smilie_happy:

Now that the engine is running about as smooth as mine, I noticed a little exhaust pop sound. :shock:

Feeling around the exhaust, I found the right pipe has a crack underneath at the header pipe right where it meets the crossover pipe. We were taking the back wheel off to check the splines anyway, so I might as well pull the exhaust off and fix that crack. :head bang: :builder:

Pulled the exhaust off plus the rear wheel. The right pipe has a pretty good hole. I cleaned it up and sealed it with exhaust putty and screen plus some brand new crush washers:

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Everything is back together. After setting the pilot screws, I re-synced the carbs again. With the engine hot, dropped the oil. The oil looked brand new when we got the bike because the PO changed it, but had never run the bike. With the minor running we have done, that oil turned fairly dark pretty quick. :headscratch: :nea:

Checked the oil and sure enough, it had gas in it from when the bike sat all those years. Well, at least it gave the engine a good cleaning. :hihihi:

Not too much gas, just enough to mix with the fresh oil to remove carbon. I flushed with some clean oil and then refilled with fresh 10W40. Pulled the filter. It is an aftermarket chrome filter housing. I did not like it much, but many like their chrome. I did not like that there is no inner lip to retain the main seal, only the outer lip of the housing. I did a test tightening with the new seal and sure enough, it slipped and the housing leaked. There is also no spring or washer holding the filter back away from the bypass holes. I will post a picture of it as soon as I can.

I searched my old '81 parts left over from the '81 diesel :hihihi: and found the oil filter housing, spring and washer!

Cleaned it up and it fits like a champ! (Maybe because this is also an '81?) :smilie_happy:

I ran into another small issue. The new fuel hose was leaking at the carb? The new clamps cannot be tightened anymore, but the hose still spins. I pulled the hoses and installed regular hose clamps. I will have to let John know over at Wingovations that the clamps do not work on the 1100 hose barbs.

Finished cleaning up from the gas and oil change. Ran the engine through a few fan cycles and took her out around the block again. I'll tell ya, this '81 with the OEM seat and the shocks and forks all aired up is a lot taller than my '82! Even I cannot flatfoot on flat ground. Regardless, it is running very nicely. All of the mechanical work is finished. Now is the final clean up and polish to get the pictures ready for sale!

Before I do that, I will take her out on the highway to be sure everything is up to snuff.

Understood, except that the hose at the fuel pump inlet and carb inlet started leaking pretty good. The carb inlet leak was passing raw gas down onto the exhaust. I changed the clamps and the leaking has stopped. Not a chance i want to take.