82 gl1100 carburator question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shierh

Reaction score
Right front carb has a hose barb fitting on the very bottom. Its bare. is this a vacuum fitting that needs a cap on it?

Is that above a large headed screw? .. if so it is a bowl drain... if not it may be a vacuum line ptt... got photo? Or can you get one and post it? ...

Will try to get a picture tonight. Ive got the thing apart for timing belts and valve stem seals, water pump, on and on.

The #3 carb (right rear) has a hose barb on it for the vacuum advance. Is it possible the fuel bowls have been swapped? Doubtful, since it also has the accelerator pump on it, but I've seen stranger things done... The advance hose runs from the top rear center of the engine (the ignition pulser unit) to the #3 carb.

Not swapped,. the #3 has the vacuum advance hooked to it properly. The barb on the forward carb sticks strait down from the bowl. Did not get pic last night as I did not work on it. Still waiting for parts which should be here today.

Hmmm - a mystery barb!

Be extra careful when re-assembling after the valve stem seals - be absolutely sure the little keepers are seated in the stem groove! A member's bike dropped a valve and destroyed a piston after doing this procedure! Nobody should feel that pain! Of course, the timing mark alignment is just as critical after replacing the belts!

Enjoy the project, and we're very curious to see the mystery barb!

dont want to drop a valve. I typically take a long socket over the valve spring and rap with hammer to vibrate it in place. did both 454's on my boat and didnt have a problem. However there is always a first time.

I will take extra care with timing marks, first for me but feel confident I will get it right, will check it many times before i button it up.

Getting proper tension on belt appears may be a little trick but will simply have to do it to see how it goes. IM guessing that you start out with the timing mark lined up then you put tension on belt by turning cam gear a little then tighten the adjuster bolt on tensioner. guessing when you release the tension on the cam gear that it will re allign itself.Well we will see.