82 gl1100 front master cylinder

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shierh

Reaction score
Took apart front master cylinder because it was leaking. Verified it is rebuildable. Here is the issue. all the kits for the 1982 look different than what mine looks like. My reserve cover has 4 bolts. The 1981 kits look like mine.

Did honda use the 81 front master for the 82 for a while then change to a new style?

Also i can seem to get the reserve container off. it was replaced by prior owner so its new. I can spin it but cant pull it off. any trick? Dont want to destroy the plastic because its expensive.

common problems ..tricks ...hmmm its like a self destruction engineering its a gamble to get apart period ... just have to used smart hand or anything else you can come up with ... good luck ...maybe someone got a better answer than me

Yea, the 80-81 are different then the 82-83. The reservoir is shorter and 4 screws, the guts are different too doesnt have that screw pattern on the plunger, there are 80-81 guts on ebay though, pretty certain the cb900 use the same master in 80-81. I would t mess with the reservoir unless it is leaking, they are a pain to pop off, it is a tight fit and 2 thin blades with the cylinder secured in a vice or re installed on the handle bars, the fact it can spin isn't a problem but I wouldn't spin it too much.

Will leave it alone then, Will glass bead the metal and paint while waiting for parts.

I am sure that the master is original to the bike and the bike is an 82. I am guessing Honda must have used the 81 master on the 82 then switched to the new unit during 82.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134335#p134335:2l4hyqw4 said:
shierh » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:27 am[/url]":2l4hyqw4]
Will leave it alone then, Will glass bead the metal and paint while waiting for parts.

I am sure that the master is original to the bike and the bike is an 82. I am guessing Honda must have used the 81 master on the 82 then switched to the new unit during 82.
Could be, they switched to linked brakes in 83, nothing wrong with it..Still 5/8 bore, just a little different inside, not necessarily better just different.

Perhaps they used the '81 type on the Standards, but a different one on the IS/ Aspys? Just tinkin out loud, here.
I couldn't get the reservoir off of mine, either. It would spin, but not come off. I tried prying it up with a couple of flat scrapers, but I wuz afraid the deteriorated plastic would break, so I left it alone. It hasn't leaked so far....(knock on wood....) :beg:

My '82 was originally a Standard. It had only two bolts for the MC cover. It was seized, so I had swapped it out with the one from my '81 parts bike. The reservoir was looking cracked from sun damage, so I ordered a replacement reservoir and cover. When it came time to pull it off, I was shocked at how hard it was to remove. I learned that if you put a flat head screw driver under it and lift while turning it and lean it over, it pops right out.

Afterward, I realized how thick it was and the sun damage was really superficial. I could have kept on using it, but I replaced it anyway.

The '81 reservoir was 4 bolts.