83' basket case

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGRG

Reaction score
Well,haven't got to much done yet,can't be in the garage for more then a couple of minutes without sweat burning my eyes,so far it looks like everything's about shot to hell,shop that sold it to me lied,my fault for believing them,instead of a new starter there is a piece of the starter,then front forks need new fork tubes,a complete rebuild,the brake calipers and cylinders are all froze,the wiring's been butchered,the fairing started falling apart upon removal and all the cracks started showing,no swing arm or side covers,got a swing arm from ebay but swing arm only,need all the hardware to mount it(seals,bearings,nuts bolts,ect..) but I will start from the ground up one piece at a time and hopefully end up with something nice out of it,did find a nice digital dash on ebay now sitting in a box.May take me half of forever to finish though.

Attachments

• IMG_20120417_202336.jpg
    IMG_20120417_202336.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 286
  • 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_20120604_121007.jpg
    IMG_20120604_121007.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 282
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 283
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 284
  • IMAG0003.JPG
    IMAG0003.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 287
Paid $800 from a small shop I have do work for me that I can't do,just took a quick walk around before I got it,made payments for 2 months,should have looked closer but didn't expect to get burned like that,I asked twice if it was a complete bike and was told yes,and they just didn't want to assemble it and they had worked on it for the PO. I am dreading what I will find when I go into the Engine and carbs,the license expired in middle of 2010 so I thought it wouldn't be to bad except now from the rust and everything it was outside with engine out and it wasn't covered up so it was much worse then I expected, but I will rebuild it one piece at a time and build something nice.It's just going to take much longer then I had hoped as I also need to keep my 82' on the road and it's my only transport.

I saw a few nice parts in the pictures. Welcome aboard and take stuff one thing at a time and you'll end with a bike to be proud of.

Yes a free turning motor is a great start but not absolutely necessary. Most stuck motors can be freed for many more miles of use. Do not freak if compression is low to begin with. Often the rings are stuck after a long rest. They usually free up after a little run time and compression is then restored.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

One nice thing about a bike like that is that when it rains, you will have something to do. Also, when finished you will have something to smile about.

i wasnt suggesting it was a deal breaker just first job to take care of and work on ...once motor is free it makes since to think it will run ...i like sticking with motor till it runs and go from there

looks like a good project , and you may have some bad parts, but looks like you got a lot of Good Parts too , never give up , never surender .......... :music:

Well, I guess we know where you'll be this winter! You might find it hard to believe, but you're lucky. At least you have a place to do the job. My sbop is the sidewalk! :smilie_happy:

I got myself a basket case too, a 1979 GL with 10,000 klm, you will just have to take it slow and check all the parts you have to order and if you can, order them soon, the parts are getting rare. I got most of the parts I need, one thing I'm aving trouble finding is the right side header, any body got one?

flash2002":uww04p5d said:
I got myself a basket case too, a 1979 GL with 10,000 klm, you will just have to take it slow and check all the parts you have to order and if you can, order them soon, the parts are getting rare. I got most of the parts I need, one thing I'm aving trouble finding is the right side header, any body got one?
You can get a Jardine or a MAC header system, and they work great without jetting.

If you go naked, you can save yourself a lot of hassle trying to fix plastic. These things fly without all the extra weight.

Wow, that's a lot to bite off! Good luck. I used to rebuild MGs and took on several that needed a lot more work than that.
Just take it a step at a time but pace yourself so you don't burn out.