83 GL 1100 Aspencade restoration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107729#p107729:1diu0im7 said:
joedrum » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:31 am[/url]":1diu0im7]
hmmmmm the 78 and 79 short block motors of the 1000 are the best ...but the cams and carbs are another story ...

actually when a 1000 is matched to the final drive of the 1100 ...like your bike is ..the 78-79 cans do better there than in a 1000 ... the only drawback as I see it is first gear is kind of tall ...I had an 79 1000 and still do that had a 1100 final drive in it ... I like it quite a bit ... it brought in taller gearing that matched the torque curve better ... I always hated having to shift gears in the middle of huge left turn in big intersections ...you wont have that problem any more ....its really not a bad set up at all ...

on your parts bike your looking at find out what yr 1100 it is ... as they changed dam near every year ... the 83 being the only yr that will compete with the 1000 on the hiway for lower rpm ..

as seasoned as it is it seems like someone did this on purpose to get taller gearing ...

the only big drawback here is if you wanted to pull a trailer or side car its not really set up for that in gearing .... 300$ don't sound bad if parts bike is rather sound looking might have great motor in it :mrgreen:

The 1100 I'm looking at is an 83. It has many parts I can use on mine, so I hope it is still available on payday. I have no problem with the 1000 engine, I believe it was running good, the PO just had electrical issues with it and had to let it go due to divorce, lost his garage (and half of everything else :head bang: ). He also bought a Kaw dresser as he was not that mechanical. The brakes sound like a good idea, I was told just using the front brake was "OK", but I want to be able to stop quick if the need arises.

no we need to set you up on the 83 brakes operated from the bars front brakes only aint good ... you can really get in trouble there 83 brake system is great ive always wanted to switch it to the bars myself ...... 83 1100 parts bike go for it ...hopefully it will have good motor .. plus more of the brake parts you need for your needs

Today I un-taped the wire harness to find out how fr the red wire from the fairing melted. It was melted all the way into where it connected to the bigger power wire from the main fuse, there appears to be no other damage to other wires. I will replace the wire which was radio power to the fairing. I am betting this is what caused the PO most of his electrical issues. I am guessing it had grounded somewhere in the fairing, or the radio went south and caused the the wire to overheat. Time to re-wrap the harness after repairing the wire. I will do the 3 wire soldering when it is all back together. What a great place for help and information this is.

Attachments

• P1190066.JPG
    P1190066.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 144
I made the 4 pronged socket last-night and took off the swing arm, that was easy thanks to the guys that did this before! Still debating on painting the frame myself and clearing it with the 2K clear. I can also cover the front surfaces of the frame that get chipped with a 3M rocker panel protective tape. My worry is getting the powder coating out of the nooks and crannies... I would really like the frame painted to match the body panel color.

I've been poking at it a little at a time. I built a paint booth in the corner of my shop, and have blasted, sanded and primed the main frame. It is a slow process with my hand held blaster, but it works well. I am looking to improve my water removal exiting my compressor by moving the dryer about 20 feet away from it. Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20140309_195131.jpg
    IMG_20140309_195131.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20140309_195145.jpg
    IMG_20140309_195145.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 115
Nice work so far!

As far as brakes are concerned, at the very least go with a setup like the '82. The '83 front brake operates only the left front caliper, the '82 operates both sides. The right and left calipers use different size pistons on the '83, so you want to be sure they match. '82 and '83 both use dual-piston calipers, front and rear.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112172#p112172:5ad8ionp said:
Steve83 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:37 pm[/url]":5ad8ionp]
Nice work so far!

As far as brakes are concerned, at the very least go with a setup like the '82. The '83 front brake operates only the left front caliper, the '82 operates both sides. The right and left calipers use different size pistons on the '83, so you want to be sure they match. '82 and '83 both use dual-piston calipers, front and rear.

I am planning on connecting the linked brakes to the handlebar lever by relocating the proportioning valve and putting on a larger diameter master cylinder. The brake pedal is useless to me as I am a right below knee amputee. Are there requirements that a cycle needs to have both levers functioning? This is just a better set up for me personally as I am an amputee. I was just going to leave off the rear pedal as I have no use for it, unless there is some kind of legal reason it has to be there.

You might go online to the Texas DMV site and see if they list requirements for motorcycles. An exception might be made in your case if you've altered the brakes to operate from the hand lever.

When I was living in El Paso and had my '80 1100 inspected, all they wanted to see was that all lights, signals and horns worked, and no cracked lenses. No mechanical inspection or test ride was done. If you leave the rear pedal in place, the brake light will work when you step on it, even without the master cylinder in place. Finally, a decent '83 rear master cylinder will fetch some good money - they're getting very hard to find.

Best of luck with it!

Parts n more has a 16 mm piston after market master cylinder for dual brakes.. I have installed it on my 81 because I didn't like the plastic reservoir due to disintegration ... you must likely could still do the valve move.. just match the fronts for size (replace right one to match the left size) and leave the rear as is... 75% of breaking is front wheel..

Have been doing ALOT of sanding and cleaning of the frame. I have the frame painted and some of the black parts. Tomorrow I will finish up the last of the black part painting. Next I will start to re-assemble the bike. Once it is mostly re-assembled, I can start painting the perty parts. I am still considering color choices, but leaning towards a light grey metallic base with a burgundy where the second color was. This has been my first gun painting project, and I am happy. I can see flaws, but when it is all together they will be hidden, so I won't re-paint it. These pictures are from my cheesy phone, so not that great.

Attachments

• IMG_20140406_125236.jpg
    IMG_20140406_125236.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20140406_125306.jpg
    IMG_20140406_125306.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 143
I have been putting the frame back together. Wire harness repaired and back in, tank in, triple tree back in. I have re-packed the swing arb bearings, and put new tree bearings in. Now working on re-building and polishing the forks. I have new progressive springs also. I have put new "O" rings in the anti-dives and have to order the little boots for them. I installed a new marine fuse block. Progress is moving right along. After the frame is back to rolling (so I can get it out of the way) I will start on the engine.

Attachments

• IMG_20140420_213307.jpg
    IMG_20140420_213307.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20140420_213339.jpg
    IMG_20140420_213339.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20140413_115435.jpg
    IMG_20140413_115435.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 126
Well, it is official. I have stopped the restoration and scrapped the bike for parts for my '79. I had lost the title, and decided to use the parts on my other bike. It is giving me much better service as a parts bike.