'84 1200 engine for a '82 GW

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very pleased with the 1200 engine so far :Egyptian: . The electric fuel pump is great because I turn the key on and the pump fills the carb up and it lights off as soon as I hit the start button :music: . That is helped a lot by the new AGM battery I put in. Even the neutral light is brighter. :shock:

I was worried about the hydraulic valve adjusters but they work just fine. Nice and quiet. :lazy: :lazy:

Great to hear that your lifters are pumping. All up it is looking like a great result. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186445#p186445:30lw419m said:
canuckxxxx » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:22 pm[/url]":30lw419m]
Now it is turning about 3700 rpm at 60 mph vs 3700 with the 1100, so more relaxed ride.

Are we dealing with a typo? Your rpm at 60 mph is significantly higher (23%) than the 60 mph rpm on most 1200s, since my 1200s all show 3000 rpm at 60.

Nevertheless, glad you're happy with it because it sounds like it's doing what you wanted. :yes: :yahoo:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186489#p186489:2zrbb89q said:
PurpleGL1200I » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:12 am[/url]":2zrbb89q]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186445#p186445:2zrbb89q said:
canuckxxxx » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:22 pm[/url]":2zrbb89q]
Now it is turning about 3700 rpm at 60 mph vs 3700 with the 1100, so more relaxed ride.

Are we dealing with a typo? Your rpm at 60 mph is significantly higher (23%) than the 60 mph rpm on most 1200s, since my 1200s all show 3000 rpm at 60.

Nevertheless, glad you're happy with it because it sounds like it's doing what you wanted. :yes: :yahoo:
Yes, a typo :head bang: Thanks for pointing that out. :thanks: It should have read 3300 rpm at 60 mph. It would be lower if I had a 1200 final drive but I still have the 1100 FD.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186491#p186491:1x4p82at said:
PurpleGL1200I » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:21 am[/url]":1x4p82at]
Any future plans to convert to the 1200 FD? It's been done by other members.

:popcorn:
I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains so my rides usually feature lots of hills, so the current gearing seems to work OK for me. Any taller and I would have to shift down to make it up.

Since I'm retired, it is all about spending as little money as possible. Also last year I put new tires on so feel like I'm going to stay with the current setup at least until those need replacing and by that time I will be too old to ride anymore.

So, no, will not be messing with final drive any time soon. :nea:

Brian :moped:

I love my low final drive in the Rats Nest when riding the hills. It's just a bummer when it runs out of top speed at 105mph but as at that speed our LEOs lock you up and impound the bike I should really be risking it. :yes:

well its never been about top speed with me ...and its never been about mpg....it about riding comfort at speed ....i get about 4000rpm at 80mph ...and with the smoothness of a oldwing4 ...thats mucho amount of comfort per mile ....ive rack up some impressive saddle time in the hooch bike ...flawless running with about as low trauma per mile as one can get

i use my bike as my main transportation ...and i made changes that suited my needs ...the 1200 final installed on my 1000 bike and use of the car tire for way better traction and stability ...makes confident feel for the rider

To be honest I don't really stress over my Oldwing spinning away at >4000rpms for hour after hour. It seems to be happy then :Egyptian: . With ear plugs in and little to no vibration RPMs don't seem to matter. Now I don't even have a tach that works I don't think I will miss it.

What really limits my riding range is the stock 1100 seat. Just can't seem to get comfortable on it. :nea: Seems like that back rest hump puts me too far forward. :Awe:

Brian

me either it does seem to be the perfect rpm ...it amazing how much one gets passed doing 80mph on the interstate...i do find it it noticeable in feel at 5000rpm ....of course this comes from a person who wouldnt be able to ride a bike if it wasnt for the oldwing boxer smooth motor

Highest posted speed limit on main highways around here is 110kph (70mph). You could probably go 5kph over without problem so about 72 mph. I prefer to go slightly slower than the posted speed so that I'm not always overtaking traffic, changing lanes etc. So maybe 105kph in the slow lane. Safe and relaxing. :good:

I've cruised at >80mph but don't find it enjoyable. Always on some slower vehicle's ass, waiting for an opening in the fast lane to pass and then have some car on your ass so you have to get back into slow lane ASAP. Then repeat 100 more times. Tiring and dangerous. :nea:

Brian

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186493#p186493:jgl70a7b said:
canuckxxxx » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:47 am[/url]":jgl70a7b]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186491#p186491:jgl70a7b said:
PurpleGL1200I » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:21 am[/url]":jgl70a7b]
Any future plans to convert to the 1200 FD? It's been done by other members.

:popcorn:
I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains so my rides usually feature lots of hills, so the current gearing seems to work OK for me. Any taller and I would have to shift down to make it up.

Since I'm retired, it is all about spending as little money as possible. Also last year I put new tires on so feel like I'm going to stay with the current setup at least until those need replacing and by that time I will be too old to ride anymore.

So, no, will not be messing with final drive any time soon. :nea:

Brian :moped:

I have the 1200 SA and when I am riding in the mountains in my area (sure they aren't the same as the Rockies) I don't find that I shift that much. Maybe it's the C5 helping out but I just cruise along without any shifting.

im always in the right lane ...in america traveling 70mph on the interstate is like being a target to be hit ..i try to travel with the big dog trucks ...the worse thing is to be passed by all the trucks and no hooch dose not pull down what so ever ...hooch dosnt know fifth gear is overdrive in any way at all ...im sure hooch could curise all day at a speed i wont go ...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186592#p186592:23qpwmxu said:
joedrum » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:05 am[/url]":23qpwmxu]
im always in the right lane ...in america traveling 70mph on the interstate is like being a target to be hit ..i try to travel with the big dog trucks ...the worse thing is to be passed by all the trucks and no hooch dose not pull down what so ever ...hooch dosnt know fifth gear is overdrive in any way at all ...im sure hooch could curise all day at a speed i wont go ...
The only US interstate that I have experience on is the I-90 from Spokane to Seattle. Seemed like you could cruise at 70 in the slow lane with no problem. Lots of people going slower, some way slower. About the same as main highways up here.

So just waiting for spring to get here :lazy: . Have been starting the bike up in the driveway and letting it warm up till the fan comes on. Bike starts and runs good. The coolant is getting pushed into the expansion tank when hot and then gets sucked back into the radiator when cooled down...so that seems to be working OK. :good:

No coolant leaks so far. Had an oil leak from the right side valve cover (fixed), and a leak from one of the three connectors for the oil lines on top of the engine (fixed by tightening). But there is a drip from the rear cover-to-engine joint (the big gasket). Had that cover on the 1100 and then the 1200 because it has the cable clutch actuator. Had the gasket stuck to the cover and was careful not to damage it when moving it to the 1200. But still it leaks. :head bang:

So now I am deciding it if I have the energy to pull the engine out again to put a new gasket in. :lazy: I still have my friends transmission jack, which makes it pretty easy. Or just ride it and bring a piece of cardboard along to put under when parked. :salute: Or maybe the leak will stop on it's own. :nea:

So I pulled the engine again to fix the oil leak from the rear cover. To remove the rear cover I had to take the ignition advance off. But instead of the cam and advancer coming off as a unit the cam thing came off by itself
I can put it back together easy enough but I'm not sure where the cam was pointing before it came apart. So it can go together two ways 180 degrees apart.
This way
Or this way
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Brian

Latest posts