84 GL1200 engine problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations! Do a little adjusting as needed and ride while you do what you want with the original motor. Sounds like you got a fine lady too.

slabghost":2p980fj6 said:
Congratulations! Do a little adjusting as needed and ride while you do what you want with the original motor. Sounds like you got a fine lady too.

Yeah I had planned on doing a little bit of riding but I will probably keep the plastics off until I get the original motor back in. They are a pain to take on and off and it's only a 1200, I wouldn't even want to think about a 1500 or 1800.

And YES my wife is definitely a keeper!

Glad the sparker worked for you and that you are keeping the bike! (I'm especially glad I dont have to refund the money :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: )

But the wife is a keeper for sure :Egyptian:

dan filipi":bd01e3qv said:
I just watched your vid there 1060, 10k redline, nice!

Thanks Dan, I just got in from little tour of the neighbourhood, second day is as eye opening as the first was! Tomorrow I will charge up my super-secret video spy glasses and post one from behind the bars !!

Took the bike out for a quick shake down cruise last night and she ran pretty smooth. The donor motor has a bit of loud mechanical noise and a few minor oil drips but it should be ok for short rides until I get the original motor all refreshed and swapped back in.

Been riding the bike now for about a month, just back and forth to work type stuff. I've kept the "donor" motor in the bike while I replaced the clutch plates, rebuilt the starter, new head gaskets & timing belts, and put in a new stator on the original motor. So now it's time to change the motors again. The donor motor has quite a bit of mechanical noise and has a few oil leaks, and frankly it looks pretty beat up so as I now know that the original problem wasn't anything mechanical with the original motor it goes back in. There is one catch though, the donor motor had the transmission gear sensor wire bundle clipped. So I had clipped the long end off the original motor and spliced it in. I would do that again but I am affraid that the wires may be too short (they were none too long to start with) after two splices. Does anyone know where I can order that wire or does anyone have a junk motor that they would be willing to clip that wire off of?

It might be #6 (switch,change 35759-MG9-771) but I'm not sure. I found it under transmission cover in the parts diagram

Attachments

• Image.gif
    Image.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 114
hmmm [sure if your clever you can attach those wires with the motor out like it is ....butt facing wires twisted together and soder with srink wrap ready to slip down works good ...other ways also

Just wanted to let you guys know that I finally got the original motor all put back together and in the bike. It's been basically unrideable since last October (except for a short bit this summer with a donor motor) and I rode her to school this morning. Thanks for all the input and ideas, you guys helped get another old wing back on the road. You guys ROCK!