84 GL1200 engine problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dan filipi":1p73hvu0 said:
Since the problem did come and go makes me think maybe moisture related on the ignition then doing it all the time makes me think the arcing deteriorated the connection even further.

Here's a simple and cheap test to use on the ignition components. You will need a spray bottle filled with water. Pull things off so you can see all the ignition parts - plugs, wires, coils, etc. When it is dark outside fire the bike up and start spraying down sections of the ignition circuits. If you have any shorts or bad wires you will probably see some arcing. Spray down the coils too, and see if there's any arcing or change in how the bike runs. I would agree with what was mentioned before, possibility of the ignition box. I would say it's something else other than the motor and carbs. Must be connected to what's on the frame of the bike. (figuratively speaking)

I checked out your original thread and a few things popped out. I noticed in the video of the carb sync gauges (and yes I understand you fixed the one not moving) that your carbs are not synced well enough to run correctly at idle...especially when you throttle up like that and the needles are not anywhere near the same (based on me owning the same gauge set and syncing my carbs on my 1100). That may be an issue easily delt with, but I think your ignition control module is not working correctly based on the history(......runs fine to work....restart and then stumbles?) Yes, a clogged idle circuit will do the same, but it appears you have done everything to clean the carbs up and rebuild.

Your other thread does not indicate that you ever swapped or replaced the module? That high pressure car wash could put water into it real easy. (Be advised....I have never worked on 1200's)

I have never swapped out the ignition module as I don't have a spare and they are kinda spendy. I guess that is my next thing to try after I give the spray it with water trick.

OK so is the ignition module vacuum controlled? Would unhooking the vacuum line from the ignition module while it's running change anything, for test purposes? I haven't had much time to actually work on the bike but I've had a lot of time to spend thinking about the ignition system. It seems to me that if the spark plug caps were cracked that i would definitely know about it as I have taken them off one at a time while the bike is running to see if I could narrow the problem to a specific cylinder(that didn't prove any results). I would think that if they were cracked that I would get a heck of a shock. I did hear a nice strong snap when I pulled them just off the plug so I'm thinking that the coils are working fine, but I will check them with the multimeter to make sure. That would leave the ignition control module and the pick-up to round out the remainder of the ignition system, right? And because both engines are having the same problems then one could assume that the ignition pick-up at the rear of the motor is working also. Now if I only had a spare ignition module to test with.........

aperry62":8do2c5ck said:
Anybody have a spare ignition module that you would be willing to sell me?

Post a wanted in the for sale forum, might get more exposure.
There are a couple used parts guys here, 1060dsl is one I think might have one.

aperry62":2iqqab83 said:
OK so is the ignition module vacuum controlled? Would unhooking the vacuum line from the ignition module while it's running change anything, for test purposes? I haven't had much time to actually work on the bike but I've had a lot of time to spend thinking about the ignition system. It seems to me that if the spark plug caps were cracked that i would definitely know about it as I have taken them off one at a time while the bike is running to see if I could narrow the problem to a specific cylinder(that didn't prove any results). I would think that if they were cracked that I would get a heck of a shock. I did hear a nice strong snap when I pulled them just off the plug so I'm thinking that the coils are working fine, but I will check them with the multimeter to make sure. That would leave the ignition control module and the pick-up to round out the remainder of the ignition system, right? And because both engines are having the same problems then one could assume that the ignition pick-up at the rear of the motor is working also. Now if I only had a spare ignition module to test with.........

Is this what you are looking for? I have one listed at $149.00 - you can have it for $50 plus actual shipping costs. (offer good for a week)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Honda-Gold ... 43ae3696cb

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 129
Yeah I always seem to buy the "unique" years for the vehicles so I make sure to verify the correct part numbers. I'm gonna buy one from 1060dsl

here is the cross refference list on the CDI unit - this one came off an 84 standard and went out today

Part # = 30400-MG9-741
Part Description = IGNITER UNIT - (replaces 30400-MG9-004, 30400-MG9-742, 30400-MG9-005)
Model Count = 9
GL1200A-E 1984 1200 GL1200A Goldwing Aspencade Touring
GL1200A-F 1985 1200 GL1200A Goldwing Aspencade Touring
GL1200A-G 1986 1200 GL1200A Goldwing Aspencade Touring
GL1200A-H 1987 1200 GL1200A Goldwing Aspencade Touring
GL1200-E 1984 1200 GL1200 Goldwing Standard Street
GL1200I-E 1984 1200 GL1200I Goldwing Interstate Touring
GL1200I-F 1985 1200 GL1200I Goldwing Interstate Touring
GL1200I-G 1986 1200 GL1200I Goldwing Interstate Touring
GL1200I-H 1987 1200 GL1200I Goldwing Interstate Touring

Well hopefully this is the part the old girl needs and not just another thing to cross off the list and sit in the parts bin.

aperry62":3qimdtmk said:
Well hopefully this is the part the old girl needs and not just another thing to cross off the list and sit in the parts bin.

If you dont use it just send it back I will refund it.

1060dsl":1qgkam6g said:
aperry62":1qgkam6g said:

If you dont use it just send it back I will refund it.

Ya can't beat that for service on an electrical part!

Well it's been a long time since I've been able to work on the girl (partly out of frustration, mostly because of no time) but I was finally able to hook in the ignition box that I got from 1060dsl and guess what............IT WORKED. I started her up and she purred like a loud grumpy kitten. Didn't have time to let her run and get up to temp, but I did take her off choke and she idled right at 950rpm without any death rattles or goosing of the throttle. I will do some more testing first to make sure that I'm not getting ahead of myself. But I think I will put the original engine back together once I check/replace the clutch plates and possibly replace the stator. Once I get the motor back in I don't want any excuses to have to pull the damned thing back out again for a LONG time........Maybe I will still get to ride it this summer yet!

I was just talking with my wife in the car last night and told her that if the ignition box didn't fix it that I was really thinking of giving up and selling it. She told me that I would regret it if I sold it and that I should keep trying to fix it. (Even though she is SICK of me talking about it and working on it) What a gal huh!?!

Just thought I would pass along that update.