a bit of bad luck

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shierh

Reaction score
Was riding my Heritage Softail to work on Wednesday when an oil cooler hose blew. Cooler is only a year and a half old. Hose was completely hard and it burst at the 90 degree bend. It ran completely out of oil. Not clear how long it ran dry. I herd lifters making some noise when i stopped in traffic and shut it down. I have always used amsoil and change every 5k. Filed claim with Ultracool who made the cooler and contacted an oil analysis lab. They said that since I had Amsoil in it and likely did not run dry for very long that likely my engine will be ok. I am filling it tonight with new filter and running it. will put 500 miles on it and have oil tested.

My oldwing has been laid up with carburators and fuel tank. should have that done tomorrow. Evapo Rust x 5 gallons has arrived and will fill the tank with it. I did soak tank for a few days with soap water and then blew it out with high pressure air fitting with water in it. It blew off all the loose stuff. Coated it with ospho to keep from further rusting while waiting for evapo rust to show up.

Ill post photos of my carbs once i assemble, you guys will love the new look. I painted them but wait till you see the colors.

Well at least I have one running bike, Sportster. Knew i kept it for a reason.

oil light is on the speedo, on tank. Did not notice it. Was in traffic so paying attention to that.

I put 20 miles on it so far. Wont know until it has 500 and send oil sample to the lab. I bought some Gates Transmission cooler hose. it is rated at 400psi and 300 degrees constant temp. I also found that there was no need for the 90 degree bend, now have nice smooth sweep from filter adaptor to the cooler. The old hose was completely dried out and rotted but it broke at the 90 degree bend.