Air shock pressure

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warnett

Reaction score
Any one have an idea why the rear ait shocks on a 1982 need 28-57 and on an 1983 its 0-57. I kind of need 0 on my 82 so I can flat foot it but book says mim 28

Far as I know, Honda designed the earlier shocks to run with some air assist. IMO it's to overcome too weak springs from the get go since in 83 they redesigned them with heavier springs.
I don't think running earlier shocks without air will hurt them.
Maybe someone knows otherwise?

springs are tougher in 83 ...they kept raising the spring pressure as they were weak and poorly engineered totaly wrong for a road bike of weight...thats why people who can affordit buy new progessive springs front and rear

I have the '82 shocks and when there is no air in them the bike bottoms out ALL THE TIME!!! Gotta at least have 28 lbs but I find 42 lbs works best.

If you are looking to flatfoot it, than I suggest you try what I did. I lowered my triple tree 1 1/2" on the front shocks which now allows me to come very near flatfooting the ground! It actually helped my handling at slow speed too!

I didn't notice it hitting bottom. That means hitting tire right? I thought about changing wiring so air pump will wrk while riding. That way on the highway pump it up and then let it down when I get where i have to stop. What is triple tree?

its the front end of the bike that holds the front forks and wheel together where it also attackes to the frame ....frame both forks tripple tree....bottming out can be the shocks slaming down all the way ...i dont have progressive springs in any of my bikes ...i would if i could afford it tho

Ok I think I understand where that is. Kind of like where the forks on a biycyle go through frame. I going to see if my rear shocks have been changed because with o pressure on then it all seemed fine to me. Thanks for the info>