Alternator on 87 Honda Goldwing 1200 replacing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the board...Has anyone had any experience in changing an alternator on a 1987 Goldwing 1200? Mechanic says engine has to be pulled and labor around $2000. Can I have someone's opinion? Is it even worth it when I paid $3500 for the bike?

Welcome to the playground. Well, hmmmmmmm. I asume that you know that the "alternator" isn't like the one in the car outside. It don't bolt on. It is built into the inside of the engine compartment. Now,.....before you get too deep in this check all the simple stuff first, connections, wires, plugs, even the battery can trick you into thinking there are alternator problems. Here is the first thing that you should do. There are several threads here that talk about this exact thing. If thats no help let us know and we will brainstorm with you.

Jerry, welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

$2000 might be his charge because he isn't interested? To pull the stator (alternator), you do have to pull the engine. :eek:

That is actually not that hard to do, just time consuming. There isn't a nut or bolt on there that hasn't been touched by a human hand! If you would like, we can walk you through it! :yahoo:

I'm Jerry's wife, posting for him. Thanks so much for the information. If he weren't asleep, snoring on the couch I would read him your replies. We'll get back with you tomorrow night. Thanks for the prompt response from HOT Florida. My daughter is in New Jersey, nice to talk with you. Have a good night!

Jerry":l7v2lsbw said:
I'm Jerry's wife, posting for him. Thanks so much for the information. If he weren't asleep, snoring on the couch I would read him your replies. We'll get back with you tomorrow night. Thanks for the prompt response from HOT Florida. My daughter is in New Jersey, nice to talk with you. Have a good night!

Ya know the funny thing is, my name is Gerry and my daughter is in Fort Lauderdale! :thank_you:

That is too funny, Gerry. My daughter is in Middlesex, NJ...works in New York. I bet you miss her as much as I miss mine. She's coming in June for my son's wedding, maybe she could hitch a ride back. LOL...

I talked my husband into buying this Goldwing, maybe put 500 miles on it then the alt (stator?) went. Go figure!!! Then they tell us $2000 to fix, I can't believe that. I hope the guy who says he got a quote for $700 is around. I need the mechanic whose got it to read this post. I'll tackle that later in the day.

Thanks for all the info, what a friendly forum. I'm usually on the horse forums.
Sheryl, Jerry's wife.

Could anyone show me the other threads relating to the alternator or stator? I don't see them when I search. Thanks so much guys!!!!

Jerry, our forum had a crash a few months back and we do not have those threads back yet. However, we do have some folks here with experience that can help. Several things that go wrong with the 1200 stators is they overheat because of wiring problems inside the stator and at the 3 yellow wire plug coming out of the stator. The plugs is only rated at about 25 amps and the stator puts out much more than that (Nobody seems to know why Honda did this?) The 3 wire plug tends to corrode which causes a resistance in the flow of electricity (kinda like a toaster) and it starts to melt the wires or ends inside of the plug. You do not always see it on the outside of the wires, but can usually see it right away inside the plug. Cutting off the plug and soldering the three wires stops overheating at that site.

However, the wire connections inside of a 1200 stator are a little harder to get to. Out of curiosity, how have you determined the stator failed? Can it be a fried voltage regulator, melted wires or plug end that might be preventing output?

Unfortunately, if in fact the stator is shot, the engine does have to come out (at least halfway to access the stator). The $2000 repair normally includes a lifetime warranty. But for the cost of a new stator and some time spent moving the engine, it could be done a lot cheaper!

If it is any help, my daughter in Florida (who is 18) swapped out my engine with me two years ago when she was 16 and she had never worked on anything mechanical before! I know that she might be willing to help if she is available!

$2,000 is ridiculous for a new stator. I could justify $1,000 but that would include checking the clutch and doing some other maintenance in the rear cover while it's open.

I did a little tutorial on bypassing the stator plug. This will help understand what we're referring to: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=554

It's very common for this 4 wire plug to overheat which eventually separates the connections in that plug.
Your first check should be to take a look at the condition of that plug before condemning the stator.

The next checks would be to check the plug at the Regulator. This is another point can overheat.
The regulator/rectifier can be tested as well.
Do you feel comfortable enough to do these tests?
All you really need is a Volt/Ohm meter, we can talk you thru the tests.

yeah gerry has quite the daughters pit crew going on ...... there is also the poor boy alt conversion for 1200s that can be done ...i dont have any first hand experience on it but others here do and many have gone this route....but like gerry said it might not be bad... theres been several people who have thought there sator or alt. was bad and they werent just bad connection .....just follow those thee yellow wires on the back of the motor till you get to the connector and check it out....or just cut the connector and splice the wires together to where you know it getting connection and crank it up ....if the sator is good you will see difference in the gauge on the good side... then hard wire and soder everything together and your all set....im betting this will do it

yeah i see dan has topic info up just follow his advice

unfortunantly jerry he's near detroit. $2000 sounded way to high. i know there is a lot of labor involved but a poorboy kit is looking better as an alternative to me all the time but i think i am going to sell my 1200 aspy and get a cbr1000f. i just want something different and i still have mt 1500se