Atila the Hun, 84 GL1200 disguised as a GL 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:smilie_happy: I don't know , I was sitting here minding my own business looking at my wiring harness and POOF !!! All da cover blew off it !! Let's just be thankful I'm alive !!!! :hihihi: :BigGrin:
IMG_2064.JPG

Ok, I have a hypothetical ? If say 120 v ac were supplied to the reg/rect. via house current thru the three yellow wires with the ignition key on with the harness layed out as I have it here, would a meter show the regulator output at near 14 v D.C. ?

I don't think it would since the stator generates 3 phase output, that is 3 hots out. 120 volt house power is 1 hot with a neutral. Besides that I think the frequency would be different, though that might not matter I don't know and I'm pretty sure stator outputs about 60 volts per yellow.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/~classir7/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182183#p182183:29ph54md said:
slabghost » 32 minutes ago[/url]":29ph54md]
A lot more amps in house current. I don 't think I'd try it.
Amps wouldn't matter until asking the regulator to supply more current than it can withstand. At that point it would fry.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182189#p182189:18qq4q3p said:
backlander » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:02 pm[/url]":18qq4q3p]
All points well taken, thanks, just thinking out loud.
Glad to hear.....otherwise.......it could be SHOCKING! :shock:
(Sorry, had to do it) :oops:

Well, to divulge my secret, I was trying to come up with a simple way to test a harness from a fake stator supplied source of power all the way through to each device and switch while the harness was out on the bench for repair or modification. It's simple enough to do after the regulator but not so much from the stator. I'd rather do all the repairs or mods on the bench and know it's working prior to installing it back on the bike.

I'll have to put this in the think tank, I have some plans somewhere on building a conversion box that converts single phase power to three phase for running three phase motors, I'll have to look that up.

Received my order of 6.3 mm connectors from vintageconnections.com today. Looks like good quality, cheap shipping, and good service from this vendor. Now to put together another order for the 2.8 mm connectors and a few wiring tools.

Spent the day painting and mounting a 3/4 4x8 sheet of plywood to the wall and later when all was dry I mounted the 85 -1200 interstate harness to it. When I get through with construction it wil have all lights and devices hooked to it with 12 volt power and working. Then I will begin cutting this harness down to basically a standard with relay upgrade or mods. This way I can untangle this wasp nest and get rid of all the crap and test my changes prior to installing on the bike.

IMG_2071.JPG

Latest posts