Bad stator on GL1200 - now what... replace stator or goto poorboy?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bociba

Reaction score
Hello all,

Seems like my stator has grounded on my '86 Interstate and I can trickle charge the battery (2 amps) to where I can drive maybe 15 miles and then my battery is drained. :cry: Checked into replacement of stator and received a price that had too many spaces before the decimal point. Was looking at or considering a poorboy application. Price of course is important but also if there was/is anyone in the Sacramento, Ca. that can do the conversion. I have no place to do a conversion.
Hoping there is someone out there.

Bociba (Mike) :beg:

welcome to CGW .....sorry to hear aboyt the sator....you have checked it with a meter i guess to know its grounded out....ther are sators out there on ebay that are not that in price and used ones to ....but it requires taking the motor out to change it....the poorboy option is a lot of work to and not cheap either its just something that can be done without taking the motor out and provides better output ....it sucks that you dont have a place to work on it ...dan has a poorboy conversion on his 1100 but i have no ideal how close he is to you ....he lives in raseeda and knows alot about this conversion he will probably post in on this .....

Welcome to the forums.

Test it first. Could be the stator plug is melted or has loose connections or even a bad regulator.

I've never done the kit sold by Poorboy but I built all my own parts.
I think the Poorboy is $200 plus alternator and belt.
I don't keep up on it but last I knew the pulley was too small to get a charge at idle with extra lights on.
On mine I get a 1.75 to 1 ratio which gives me 13 volt at slow idle with 2 driving lights on.

Personally, if you have a cherry bike I'd keep it stock.

Good to meet you all.

Stators... :cry:

I have the 3 yellow stator wires and then I have 3 larger gauge yellow wires running up to the harness underneath the tank and into the compartment where the rectifier is.

Down adjacent to the battery is where the 3 heavy wires connect to the original stator wires with twist-on connectors.

I labeled the 3 heavy duty yellow wires A, B, and C.
I labeled the 3 smaller orig stator wires 1, 2, and 3.

Note: the 3 smaller yellow wires have brown blotches on them (burnt?) It's not grease.

Testing: Stator wire 1 to ground: 0 ohms
Stator wire 2 to ground: 160 ohms
Stator wire 3 to ground: infinite ohms

Stator wire 1 to Stator wire 2: 160 ohms
Stator wire 1 to Stator wire 3: infinite ohms
Stator wire 2 to Stator wire 3: 1000 ohms

HD wire A to ground: 0 ohms
HD wire B to ground: 0 ohms
HD wire C to ground: 200 ohms

HD wire A to HD Wire B: 0 ohms
HD wire A to HD Wire C: 1000 ohms
HD wire B to HD Wire C: infinite ohms

What I did notice is that the HD yellow wires connect to the original plastic connector that goes to the rectifier. The splice connections are really close to the connector itself.

I have not done any other voltage/amperage tests - however, looks like the stator is bad. I wonder too about the orange wires that connect up to the rectifier connector and on to the rectifer. The plastic spade connectors look ok - not melted but I wonder. :|

:head bang:

that sucks....but if it were me id replace the sator and iwould find out if the rectifier is good or bad....they have a voltage regulator upgrade that pretty much cures the sators from going bad as they only call on power when needed instead of putting out full power allthe time like original regulator dose ......the only reson id opt for poorboy conversion is if i had a light fitish a wanted wanted a moving light show in that case the the poorboy would be the best ....good luck on your decission on what to do ....you will get lots of intrest in your success here keep posting :mrgreen:

After you check the stator out and find out if it is the problem I would recommend you check to see if there's any place around you that does alternators. I say this because there's a place close to me that will rebuild stators and alternators ....

toytender01":mu5qah3q said:
:hi: Mike I live in Citrus Heights have 2 spare engines almost complete besides my rebuild may be able to work something out give me a PM or email Bob
Sorry was distracted and did not pick up on tie 1200, mine are 1100's but we can still get togather for some rides... I like to just take off and go where the road takes me ...usualy for 4 to 6 hours or about 250 miles around the foothills and vally....My wife would prefer i get another riding partner, she does not trust the one i have now.....He makes too many changes to routs and times :blush: :blush: :blush: (ME). Lets get togather Bob