Best quick tip or easy fixes you got here.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuna boy

Reaction score
OK here is mine and I used it again yesterday. I have a problem all riding season. My bike starts to miss at 4-5000 rpm. Talked about my problem here and it sounded like a sticky float. The fix required pulling the carbs. I have done this twice before and I think I would rather have a colonoscopy. Then one of the members had a easy test/fix. Ride the bike down the road and turn off the gas and run the bike a little hard, then turn the gas back on. With the gas off the floats drop and when the gas is turned back on the bike runs fine up to redline, WO-HOO, I realize this is a band aid fix but I have ridden my 1100 all summer with out pulling the carbs. I could just hug the member who suggested I try this.

Do you have any other examples of easy-peezy tricks that you got here or maybe just a good one that you figured that you could share?

I would say using ATF in the gas.
Funny thing is I knew about this but never tried it until Joedrum mentioned it first here.
Now the word is out all over the other forums as if it's always been common knowledge to use it.

come on guys there has to be more .....the quick part is the stumbling part ....one of the best i figured out was how belt tension being perfect on both timing belts fix timing issues and presumed cam wobble for ignition setting on 1000 bikes ....i couldnt believe the difference in the way proper belt tension improved running and made a joke out of the split timing theory....and points could be set as honda intended to be set ...loose belts will flop on tension side of belts ....causing the presume cam wobble

I don't know if this is bunk or legitimate, but I was always taught that if you pour a little water in the carbs while your car/bike is running it will help burn carbon off your valves and pistons. You gotta make sure to keep it running while you do it. Also, I read somewhere that revving a bike a bit and then cutting off airflow completely until it dies can help clear small obstructions from jets, etc. I don't know if it works, but I have tried it a few times on the wing and it certainly did not hurt anything.

Run up to higher rpm in lower gear then chop throttle forces the use of the idle circuit helping the additives to clean the low speed / idle circuit.