Bleeding ABS brakes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winger 82

Reaction score
Any Guru's out there that can tell me the best way to bleed these brakes :Awe: :Awe: I'm working on a 2005 Silverado 4X4 Pickup just had new lines installed last week but the pedal did not seem to be what it should have been for having new lines on her, so today decided to put rear brakes on her and made sure I adjusted the shoes out and the pedal is even spongier than before ,will have a really good pedal after you pump it 4-5 times. Was told you could not bleed these systems as you use to, the old pump them up and crack the bleeder until the air was gone. so what has been the best way anyone out there has found to do this :sensored: :sensored: :sensored: job thought maybe I had a loose fitting or something but the level in the master stay's at the same level .

:thanks:
Winger 82

Attach vacuum hose or clear tube to bleeder. Immerse in a jar with a little brake fluid to cover the end of the tubing. Open bleeder valve. Then pump brakes slowly until no more bubbles keeping the reservoir filled. Do it on all four wheels. :hi:

I'm assuming that doing it this way I don't need a 2nd person to pump the pedal up and keep cracking the bleeder open :?: :?: :?:

assumed right ... but it still hard to see when the air is all out ...by yourself... the only problem with this is gravity is against you and air rises so ...air can yo yo back and forth ...if it is further away then a pedal pump... so good luck with it :mrgreen:

Long enough tubing you can place the jar where it can be seen. I hang from the seat and look under to see the jar on the other side of the vehicle. Simple easy one person operation. When Jar get's near full pour some into another container. I pump the pedal a few times and check the reservoir. As long as the tube from the bleeder is immersed you are free to move around.

Vacuum bleeders are good :yes: I still love gravity where possible ( slow vacuum) :good:

With all the valves and controls in newer abs brakes I'm not sure how well vacuum will work but it may do fine.

Thanks for all the tips guys, was having nightmares from guys telling me I could not bleed them the old tried and trued way (pump up and hold and crack the bleeder and repeat) but pressed for time this morning the wifey and I did the old tried and trued method and got them stiffened right up :music: :music: :music: (knew some of you would enjoy that comment) was a little worried at first could not get a wrench on the bleeder that would not slip so looked around for an old set of 1/4 " drive 6 points sockets that I had and a little heat and they backed right out :good: :good: :good: took about a 1/2 hr but we got them. Guess sometimes it's best to try the ways of old before listening to them youngins that say the old ways won't work on these newer rides.
Thanks again for the tips they will be put in my tip book for wrenching :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Winger 82

Congratulations. I sometimes have to do the bleeding myself so use the method I described on just about everything.