Brake Pads

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay82gw

Reaction score
I have a comment and a question. First the comment, last weekend I replaced the worn out Dunlop E2 on the back of my '82 Aspy with a new Dunlop E3. I'm amazed at the difference in handling that the new tire made! Who'd a thunk it! When I took the wheel off I discovered that the rear brake pads were worn out. Front pads were ok, but I went ahead and ordered new pads all around. Put them on this morning. Everything went great on the back end but the new front pads were so tight that I could barely turn the wheel by hand. Thought I'd ride it a little and loosen them up, but no. One trip around the block 'bout burned up my rotors! Put the old pads back on for now. Anybody had this experience? Any suggestions?

i second the fact that the piston is having a hard time returning in its new possition :mrgreen:

dose the rotor look to be centered right ....it could be and alinment problem

chasrogers":1bxku403 said:
they sold you the pads for a interstate the rotor is thinner on them than on the aspincade. so take them back and tell them to get the right ones for the aspincade.
I don't have the experience, so it's very possible and I can't argue. But I gotta think, are they so much thicker that the caliper pistons can't retract? By design, disc brake caliper pistons only need to retract enough to go from forced pressure to zero clearance. Would that mean there is really that much friction material missing from the Aspy brakes when new? (You don't get as much?)
I can understand the rotors being thicker, enableing much heavier brakeing before the friction creates more heat than the system can dissipate and the brakes start to fade, but is lesser friction material the way this is done to make it all fit? What am I missing?

Doesnt sound right to me either SCD. I would think the differance would be more in the caliper and roter,not the pads being thinner.But I wouldnt no for sure.I leaning more to the pistons not retracking all the way.Maybe need to push them all the way out and polish them.But you should be able to see if there goimg all the way back.

As for the tire,the E3 is a huge improvement over the E2 new or not.

Good question Ron.

The thing to do would be look at the parts fiche and compare part numbers for those models and required pad.

Should also note the rotor isn't new so it should already be allowing extra clearance for new pads.

Pistons are clean and working properly. Makes more sense that the pads are the wrong size. I have a belt sander and will sand them down some. Thanks for all the replies.

Yea, thinner pads makes sense to me too. Easiest way to make new rotors fit. We found that International is doing the same thing with their 4300 series chassis that we use for ambulances, and we found out the same way, by installing the wrong pads. Good to know as rotors for the Aspencades are priced extremely high and going with solid rotors from and Interstate might save some money.