BS(Bridgestone that is, LOL) tranny problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

She is alive!

It turned out to be worn counter shaft bearing.
IMG_20161207_163535.jpg

Notice the groove is almost gone on the right (old one).
I also found the remains of the washer that is supposed to be in there.

OTOH, the slider didn't show any wear. I was thinking that was the cause.
IMG_20161207_161205.jpg

I now realize that the shift fork was missing the tip since when I bought the bike as shown in this picture. I knew it was shorter than the other one but didn't think that short.
DSCN2447.jpg

So I don't know how but that broken shift fork caused the gear to push against the bearing and wore it down. Then due to increased axial play, the protrusions of slider didn't go into the holes of adjacent gear fully and jumped out.
IMG_20161207_160708.jpg

I hope the same wear won't happen again... :beg:

BTW, I changed the shift lever from linkaged one came with the rearset to direct drive ala Goldwing.
IMG_20161010_182339.jpg

IMG_20161210_085545.jpg

This makes it as "normal" shift pattern (5UP 0DOWN) so no more unintended shift downs.

Thanks!

I just came back from the usual twisty. I think the bike got more power. That bearing worn like that in the gear box, I imagine it caused a lot of friction and reduced engine power conveyed to the rear wheel. Now it feels more like 400cc 4stroke, close to XT500.

im sure the smoother it running the faster it is ..nothing like no drag or lazy running....carbs are cable pull slides ..so a bet it moves right on out when twisted ....the BS is back up and going

You could still use the rear link set if you lengthen it and drive from the bottom of the gearbox selector shaft.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=184813#p184813:1l1wjjkm said:
Ansimp » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:45 am[/url]":1l1wjjkm]
You could still use the rear link set if you lengthen it and drive from the bottom of the gearbox selector shaft.

Actually the rod hits the rearset so I need to offset the rod outward in order for that to work.
Besides the linkage and lever pivot got a lot of play so it's sloppy.

IMG_20161020_161237.jpg

Latest posts