car piston rings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckxxxx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '84 1200 engine may need new rings but they seem to be very difficult if not impossible to find. Also very expensive. I came across some discussion on other forums about using car piston rings which seem to have the same dimensions as the 1200. Bore 75.5mm, compression rings 1.2mm wide, oil ring 2.5mm wide.

For example: Late '90s Chevy Tracker 1.6L has rings of those dimensions for $46 per set.

This sounds promising but I am wondering if anyone has actually successfully installed car rings in their GW.

Brian

Knowing Wingers I'm sure there is one out there somewhere. If the dimensions are the same and the pistons/cylinder wall materials are the same, what's the difference? It would be great info for some of our members!

~O~

you find rings of right size they will work ..the crazy discounters alway come up with a reason of papered stupidity of why it dont ... if i found some rings for 46$ the fools would have a hard time convincing me it wont work LOL .. if it fit s it fits

It's not just about size. Just because they would FIT on the piston doesn't mean they will work permanently. The composition of the rings, as well as the tension will have a big impact on the outcome. Remember...our flat 4/6 engines rev quite a bit higher than yer average Tracker. Can't say I've ever seen a Tracker engine that would stay together at 7500-8000 rpms. And most Trackers don't run down the hyway taching 5500-6000rpm, either.
However...IF the rings are made of the same material(moly-cast iron, etc) as OE, and have the same cylinder wall tension(installed), AND have the same profiles, then they should be fine. Not sure I would want to experiment with my own ride, tho...having a catastrophic engine failure at hyway speeds might do some serious damage to yer undershorts.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
:hihihi:

Doubt it was directed at you Eric.
More toward anyone that he's read saying there is more to it than just slapping it together, which as Joel just pointed out, there is :smilie_happy:

no wasnt thinking at all about you eric ..i was in the debate about rings that fit and were still no good in many peoples eyes ....motor went together and as far as i know its still running great....the forums are suppose to be helpful ..to me ..iget sick of discounters dashing hopes when a helpful post is just as easy to make and better suited to ? ....as joel said yes there are more things to consider but once you find the size dig a little deeper ...way to much blanket discounts going on ... :popcorn:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154923#p154923:178xgo5k said:
Steve83 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:48 pm[/url]":178xgo5k]
I used Tracker rings in my '83 1100 build, the same as the 1200 would use. Hastings rings...I'll have to dig up the number...they worked just fine!

Thanks so much for that Steve. It makes a huge difference if someone has actually used them and they worked. What did you pay for the rings you used? Any idea what OE rings would have cost from mother Honda?

Another item that seems outrageously expensive is valve stem seals. Partzilla has a reduced price of $7.28 each so $58 to do both heads. That seems like a lot of money so I am looking for a car alternative.

Rock Auto is a good site to poke round and see the sizes of things and cost.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/

I found that a '73 - 82 Civic or 76 - 78 Accord has 6.6mm valve stems. Rock Auto has these valve stem seals for $.80 each or $6.40 for both heads. But shipping to Canada is $10.67 so I'm going to see if I can find them locally.

I am putting my 1200 heads together and don't have seals yet.

Brian