Carbs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riding a Relic

Reaction score
I have a 1980 gl1100, I would like to know if anyone has ever tried to shim the needles on the Kei-Hin carbs. If so, how did you do it and the results.

Many thanks!

There is a plastic plug in the slide that keeps the needle in place. I have been trying to find something small enough to fit in there under the needle, the needle will come right out after you pull that plug off the slide, they fit in there kind of loose.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91186#p91186:17kgx6ip said:
Riding a Relic » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:06 am[/url]":17kgx6ip]
I have a 1980 gl1100, I would like to know if anyone has ever tried to shim the needles on the Kei-Hin carbs. If so, how did you do it and the results.

Many thanks!
Well I haven't done it but I have been curious what the result could be for a long time.

Seems it would be hard to know how your doing without using an oxygen sensor to test for some baseline references.
As mine sits I think it runs too rich as it is but again, no sensors to know this for sure.

I'm not trying to sell the C5 ignition, or any other ignition mods for that matter, but I believe strongly there is much more to be gained by making a hotter spark and better control of the timing on these bikes than with mods to the carbs. I'm also not trying to talk anyone out of experimenting.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91221#p91221:1cbeyocw said:
Fetacheese » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:37 pm[/url]":1cbeyocw]
Only reason one might conceder doing the washer mod is if their bike tends to run on the lean side.The washer trick is not intended to gain higher performance.

There are not any but few choices if the bike tends to run on the lean side ,but to raise the jet needle or go to couple size up on jets. Jets the last time I look are running $11.00 - $14.00 each.

Points,Electronic ignition or what ever else is available to fire the plugs ,the plugs will only fire what ever the carbs feed them. Meaning,if the carbs can't deliver enough fuel at the speed the motor runs lean (usually at mid- higher range) the plug wont burn what's not there. IMO.

Funny you should mention that.

What Paul (C5) has to say about this is very interesting.
Be sure to bring this up at the meet.

iggys are crap after thirty yrs and were cheaply done when new ...take twice the power to one thing ...gas over time is corn not gas ...no oil content at all ...under these conditions a washer jack only helps at idle where all these things prove to really not do well ...so its a good mod ...as the jet requires further invasion for nothing .....you know fetacheese.... not everything is brain surgery.

+1 to Joe apart from the ignitions being cutting edge for their time, think of what a 1980 PC was!

hmm sot rt of good point to a point ...but its not your job to cridisise people s questions on what they want to try ...if your so good why do you call me all the time about your bike ...sheesh the guy ask about washers not your discount of them ...but if anyone had done it sheesh

Now my 2cents. I have done performance mods to my CBR carbies as performed by my mate the James the motorcycle mechanic. Yes they now snap like you wouldn't believe but at a cost. I now have a reduced cruise range of 1/6th (300ks down to 250ks). Riding my stock 91 is more pleasurable with the advantage of better fuel economy thus better range.

If I can advance the timing a few degrees and add a little fuel mix, it will get better mileage and perform better. Ignition timing is a huge factor in fuel economy. A lot more than people realize.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91256#p91256:2i15qlid said:
Riding a Relic » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:53 am[/url]":2i15qlid]
If I can advance the timing a few degrees and add a little fuel mix, it will get better mileage and perform better. Ignition timing is a huge factor in fuel economy. A lot more than people realize.
Which is the main point to the C5 ignition( selectable advance) :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91262#p91262:312r9cb8 said:
Ansimp » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:45 pm[/url]":312r9cb8]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=91256#p91256:312r9cb8 said:
Riding a Relic » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:53 am[/url]":312r9cb8]
Which is the main point to the C5 ignition( selectable advance) :good:
Yep, 4 advance curves out of the box with the ability to create your own curves.

Thanks, Dan. This is commonly called a hall effect switch, used widely in the automotive field. Most manufacturers have moved away from them since they are not as reliable as a small AC sine wave generator with more electronic switching. Actually what is already on the goldwings. Just more electronics involved in the automotive and diesels. Since the ignition timing can be adjusted with ease I can see the value in a system like this. Now all we need is a great electronic fuel injection system!

Actually guys, I'm trying to squeeze a little more MPG out of my bike, as it is a "working" motorcycle, I use it to commute 60 miles a day to work. My better half is now going through her Special High Intensity Training on learning to ride her 2002 honda shadow ACE. It gets 43 MPG and the relic (1980 gl1100) gets 38 to 41. The relic of course, is a much more comfortable ride. Multiple times the power to boot. Of course it is refreshing to ride something lightweight and the handling on the ACE is great. It's just a slug on the road especially after 70 MPH. It is a great learner's bike though. Simple to get off the clutch and shifts as well or better than any bike I've ever been on.