center stand problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retroyz

Reaction score
one day a few weeks ago I noticed my center stand suddenly didn't sit right when down. It was a bear getting the bike back down from the stand. I figured the lever got bent when I propped it up on uneven ground. Took the bike out to my dad's to use his torch. I could just heat the lever where it bent and problem solved-right? We could not figure out where the lever was bent or twisted. Upon further inspection we noticed that the foot lever was much further forward of the factory muffler indent AND the rubber bumper. We thought "how could it have gotten shorter?" so I delayed the project.

Found out with some online research that the frame cross member will fail from rust-lack of drain holes. I then removed the center stand (which requires removal of the muffler) and tipped her on her side. Sure enough, the very left side of the cross member collapsed, where the water sits when on the side stand.

Replacing it looks like a big job.

Does anybody know if this is a stressed member of the frame? i. e., do I need to repair it or can I remove it.
Does anybody know of a good portable stand/method to use for roadside repair, should I keep the factory stand off?

I don't think it's a stressed section but I can't be certain. I do know joedrum removed a section of his on his 77 frame to fit his 1200 motor. He has a front stand on his.

The easiest repair is just a straight tupe and leave the stand off. As far as a portable stand for roadside repairs, I haven't even looked for one of those yet, so I'm not much help there.

I asked this a few years back at NGW and consensus was that it wasn't that important. I removed mine, but welded a piece of pipe. The motor holds the frame together there. The swing arm is close.

Thanks for the replies. I agree that it does no seem to be a stressed member as the engine and swing arm should act as an ample cross section. I am going to remove it and use a jack for maintenance and long term parking. I will just hope I don't need a center stand out on the road. Does anybody know what a good jacking point is on these bikes? I have done it before, I just put a piece of wood between the jack and the engine - is that the best way to do it?

If you're on the road, put your jacket or something down on the ground and slowly lower the bike onto the side for rear tire service. They're a beast to get back up, but it's doable. I almost always remember to turn the bike off, keeping it upright while I take off my helmet, then put it on the side stand. Cuts the blue startups down to almost zero. I also park it in the garage or shed with a 2x4 under the side stand.

They do sell some compact cycle lift`s.. there are a few different types, not sure if they can be put in a trunk/saddle bag you would have to look at measurments. I once thought of mounting a sissors jack up under the frame and adding a wider foot on bottom for stability, when I had to lift I could just lower it with the spin handle and lower it down.
Here`s a compact type MC jack.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cycle-Lift-Scis ... 1184wt_681

A small scissor jack is all I think that would be needed, whether just in the shop or keeping one on the bike. I don't think I will keep one on the bike, using up good storage space, when I will hardly ever have a need for it. I never take any trips where I would need to park it for more than day either. If I really needed too I could lay it down as ekvh said.