Chrome side covers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdegase

Supporting Member
Reaction score
*This thread was split becuase it went off topic. :cool: -Omega

when I bought my gl1100 the engine was very tight... the guy said it was running and it locked up, shortly after it had been rebuilt... they decided to try to pull start it.. but nothing would break it loose...
they sold it to an ambitious guy who never got around to work on it... so it sat for a couple years in a garage covered... with some oil in the cylinders...
I got the whole bike for 500$
after tinkering for a bit I got down to pulling the motor... when I slid it out of the frame I noticed the inspection cap was all tornup and there was a bolt sticking out of it...
the local salvage yard had a cap for 1$
and a $4 tube of locktight... fixed the engine :D
I lucked out!
the guys who owned it was amazed , and tryed to buy it back LOL

admitedly its not the nicest bike... but 500$
and I could still see the crosshatch in the cylinders...
8005resize.jpg

sorry

Jim

Man I've seen those side engine covers alot lately, where can they be picked up? I love them and want them.

I see used ones on flea-bay all the time, but they usually have some minor surface rust, or they've been "polished" with steel wool... :blush:
I'd like to get some, too, so I just keep watching flea-bay for some that look nice. :mrgreen:

Montecman":2aouvg4x said:
Man I've seen those side engine covers alot lately, where can they be picked up? I love them and want them.

I have a set that I am getting rid of. They are real shiny (Contrary to the pictures? Bad shadows in my garage at night) The only problem is I had to open up the hole at the bottom on the left side to allow my foot boards to fit.

Attachments

• MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 216
  • MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 215
I bought my side covers from a guy on craigslist, he had an old ad with a bunch of lights and these covers... I use mothers mag wheel polish on them, its alot finer than steelwool and takes any rust right off..
the satin black is awsome looking!

Montecman":2mpgxjcv said:
I think it would be a mistake on your ride. That chrome would look out of place, I really like the way the patina of the engine plays off the color of the paint. Just my two cents...I really like the look your bike has.

~O~

Omega Man":2b8dgh61 said:
Montecman":2b8dgh61 said:
I think it would be a mistake on your ride. That chrome would look out of place, I really like the way the patina of the engine plays off the color of the paint. Just my two cents...I really like the look your bike has.

~O~

WOW! Montecman.
I think Omega is right.
I took a look at your gallery and I gotta say... WOW dude.
you got a very cool theme going. a big chrome badge in the middle of that would be a mistake..
maybe a painted pair. or even a set of those plastic/fiberglass covers matching the paint on your ride...

Just my 2 cents...

one other thing..
Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread... it was not intentional.

Jim

mcgovern61":2kpstu48 said:
Montecman":2kpstu48 said:

I have a set that I am getting rid of. They are real shiny (Contrary to the pictures? Bad shadows in my garage at night) The only problem is I had to open up the hole at the bottom on the left side to allow my foot boards to fit.

If Montecman doesn't decide to buy them, let me know. I've been looking for a set for my old girl for a while, and it seems that in my area they are few and far between. As for the oversized hole, not a problem, I'm putting boards on mine as well.

Thanx for the feedback & complements. I would black them out like the rest of the bike if I got them. For that I could used some in worse condition and I too naow have floorboards that I will be installing. Let plsk take them I'll look for some in worse condition, that way I can black them out and if i dont like the look, I can toss them.