clutch slipping?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck232

Reaction score
hey guys on my 85 aspy i get a pretty good shudder when i take off to hard mainly when the bike is cold i am guessing it is the clutch,does this sound like an adjustment or am i in for a big repair bill?

Try giving just a touch more gas first and see if that makes a difference. Shudder on 1st could also be from using oil that is not correct for the bike.

Mobil 1 synthetic 10W40 i have 66k miles on it this is only my first real season on it i had a heart attack last year shortly after i purchased it. i always react by pulling the clutch back in just a natural reaction i think almost feels like it comes from the back but hard to tell.

That's a normal shudder on these at low rpm take off. A little practice at higher rpm it's pretty much gone.

I think you probably will have to go to a straight 10w40 oil and get rid of the synthetic. I've never tried the synthetic oil in mine but from everything I've read on the subject it won't work with these clutches.

I agree with not using the synthetic....try a normal 10-40, or a Motorcycle oil, and put a few miles on it. Mine is much better using a motorcycle oil, as far as clutch operation/shifting.

You`ll need to run an oil without any friction modifiers in it, Oils that say high mileage,advanced formula,energy conserving and the like usually contain modifiers. It is good for everything but the clutch.
Mobil does have a M/C synthetic oil if you like the synthetics. Many use Rottella T or any other diesel specific oil for their motorcycles.

Mobile1 is a synthetic motor oil that is for motorcycles. I've had it in my old KZ for years with no clutch problems.