coolant leak gl1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mysteryrider

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a coolant leak on my baby .. I think it is on the left side pipe that comes out from a central block then down into the head . I have looked at the basic part layout and suspect it is an o ring on that pipe but can't find the leak to be certain. it looks to be a pretty straight forward deal to order the gasket and 2 o rings and replace all that but figured I would ask before taking it all apart to be sure of that and also is this a common leak for this model and would it be wise to go ahead and do both sides at once. As you can probably guess I'm not a mechanic but trying to learn. also I have a issue with the neutral light theres power shorting over to it constantly while in neutral it is brighter but stays dimly lit at all times while running. just wondering if there is a commonly known source for this issue or if it is just a hunt and search deal

Both are common problems.

The O rings leak like you said.
I would replace all 4 of them together with the 2 gaskets like you mentioned.
Might as well, have to drain the coolant so it's a good time to do it all.

The neutral light staying on is usually caused by a carboned up neutral switch contact inside it.
Sometimes a momentary "short" to positive from the battery will fix it but not always and it may not last.
If you try this, unplug the wire to the neutral switch first so you don't send battery + back through the harness which could burn out the neutral switch diode.