Cordless Drills

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winger 82

Reaction score
Anyone know of an American made cordless drill ?? I had a Craftsman 19.2 Volt for years and someone thought it would look better in their toolbox than mine, so thought I'd get one that was made in the good ole USA. Well everything that I looked at @ the good ole Home Depot had made in China on their boxes, I thought DeWalt was American made but the box said made in China :Awe: :Awe: :Awe: Will probably get another Craftsman just for the fact that I have a gift certificate there but if I can get one made in the USA I'd rather have that.
:thanks: in advance

Winger 82 :hi: :hi: :hi:

I have quite a few of them. I don't think even one is U.S. made. Good luck in your search. I've found a lot of so called american company brands sell China made products.

Personally I've never liked the feel of Craftsman drills, especially the cordless one's.
My preference is smallish and lightweight with a good balance for what I use it for mostly, electrical trim work outlets and such, some drywall screw driving.
The one I'm using now I really like is the Milwaukee 12 volt.

Is anything NOT made in China these days?

I think China cornered the market on cordless drills and so many other things. , Just so you know and in case you think it may get nicked again Me and my buddy bought 2 cheap cordless drills at HF for 15.99 each and used them to run heavy wood screws for new windows, they did the work surprisingly well for a cheap price..I still use mine from time to time and it hasn't failed yet but not a quality feel to them, for the price I am not complaining and even sprung 12 bucks for a spare battery.

Not positive, but think Makita and Hitachi are either Japan or Korea origin. I have a 15 year-old Makita at work still going on the two original NiCad packs.

:thanks: guys, have a post on a vintage sled page about this also and have been getting much the same response, I do have a small Bosch cordless that I won at a golf outing that I thought I'd never use but was suprised at the ass it had and how long the battery lasted, but still want to replace my big one (boy have I loaded this post) I did do some research on the web and found nothing American made.

:thanks: again guys
Winger 82

I have had a Milwaukee and now a Makita. I am not a carpenter so my drill does not see a lot of use. I buy the expensive models and find that replacement battery replacements are way to expensive. Next drill will be one of the under $100 models. Probably a black and decker. I don't think any of them are made in the USA.

if it has a battery it to dam weak for me to use ... if iwant a screw gun a 6 amp drywall screwgun is what i use ... it will drive a 5" screw in ..if you are good enough in the hands to use it ... i have one that will spin a 6000rpm ..you be amazed what you do with ... nope no battery junk for me i dont care where its made .... :cheeky:

I had a Craftsman 19.2 volt and liked it a lot until the batteries went dead. I didn't feel like spending a small forturn to buy new batteries so I bought a small Makita at an auction for $5 that was missing a battery. A new battery cost me $15, so for $20 I have a drill that is great for drilling pilot holes or starting screws. For the really heavy work, most times I just get out the corded black & decker and extenstion cord.

My Makitta stuff says:
Makitta Corp
Anjo, Alci, Japan
MADE IN CHINA..... :smilie_happy:

I have a 9.6 setup here at werk, and one at home, along with an older 7.2 at home. Haven't had a bit of trouble out of any of them. The batteries have problems in the heat(summertime), but I have spare batteries for all of them, and usually keep one batt on the charger for use at any time. I use the one here at work quite a bit...the ones at home rarely ever see daylight. Batteries for the 7.2 are quite 'spensive these days, too.
For the heavy dooty jobs, tho, I have my mid 1960's Black and Decker corded drill I "borrowed" from my Dad sometime in the early '70s. Replaced the brushes in it once a hunnert years ago, and the power cord about the same time, but that thing still keeps on tickin. :good:

I use a corded drill that was my grandfather's, his Oster hair trimmer and my grandmother's electric carving knife. I remember all three from early childhood and they all still work great.

I am with Joe, the battery stuff always dies or need an expensive battery. I have a few corded drill that are 25 years ago and are as usable today as they were new. I still need a cordless drill but will never pay over $100 again. I see the $3-$500 cordless sets and think others should buy QUALITY corded tools first and the disposable tools last.

I don't think you can beat the Craftsman 19.2 cordless tools for the money. I do not like the lithium batteries. They get hot and cut out. I did use a Milwaukee 12 and 18 volt and they were very nice but you pay a heavy price for them.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138679#p138679:15b2glhz said:
zman » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:18 am[/url]":15b2glhz]
Hey!...You guys are mechanics, rebuild them.

I am having one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments!