Cross fitting

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 85 LTD came with larger stator but my cheat sheets don't say how big it was, the 86 SE-i model came with 500 watt stator. The engine serial number will tell you what year it is, The 85 number should begin with SC14E-25, 86 number SC14E-26 and although there was no EFI in 87 the number should start with SC14E-27.

Last year of anything is SUPPOSED to be the best. As all the bugs have been addressed,so you may have came out way ahead. Hope for the best, & prepare for the worst,you'll never be disapointed.

It is an SC14E-27 motor. The part I am now unsure of is the output shaft. It was a different shaft in 87 as were the bearings. I want to plunk this into my 83, but I don't know if the output shaft will fit in the 87. If I have to, I can go with a 1200 swingarm/final drive, but I would rather have it in the 1100 frame and swingarm. Going to see if bearing sizes are listed. Anyone who has done this, feel free to chime in anytime.

A glimmer of hope. The front bearing of the output shaft is the same, so if I swap to the 85 rear cover it should have the same rear bearing as the 1100. I guess I have to get out there and actually check to see. grrrrrrr

I get conflicting info----imagine that---- some say it has a 500 watt alternator, some say it doesn't. Does anyone know if the 1200 drive shaft will fit the 1100 final drive. I doubt it, but that would make life easier if I could find one.

If memory serves it will fit but won't stay. No circlip. Joe tried to drill and pin but the drill wasn't up to the job.

I think Joe was trying to drill the engine output shaft. The 1200 drive shaft uses springs at both ends to keep it in place. I don't know it the final drive splines are the same between 1100 and 1200

Edit:
Looking at the parts manual, the 1100 final drive has a splined shaft, and the 1200 has a splined hub. It would seem that the drive shafts are not interchangeable.

ok splines are same ... 1200 output shaft is shorter than 1100 or 1000 shaft ...if you use either of those finals you have to change out put shaft in 1200 motor ... i was trying to drill the yoke not output shaft ....eric if you go 1200 final you dont need to change output shaft ... and the 1200 goes in 1100 easy .....but you need swing arm ..final ..final shaft ...1200 u joint..... brake bracket...and 1200 brake ...wheel and rotor...

my opinion is the 1100 final and swing arm has the best get up and go setup ...even better than 1000 ..witch is just to low .....it will surprise me if the 1100 or 1000 output shaft wont go in the 87 1200

Old Fogey, John of Wingovations, thinks I will have to put an 1100 rear bearing and seal into my 87 rear cover and the the 1100 output will fit. Doesn't looks too bad. Been busy welding tonight. Hope to get everything tacked up and then pull motor, final drive and forks so I can get the frame where I can access the rest for my welding skills. Next week, maybe get to looking at that.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136823#p136823:7jollo6s said:
ekvh » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:42 pm[/url]":7jollo6s]
Old Fogey, John of Wingovations, thinks I will have to put an 1100 rear bearing and seal into my 87 rear cover and the the 1100 output will fit. Doesn't looks too bad. Been busy welding tonight. Hope to get everything tacked up and then pull motor, final drive and forks so I can get the frame where I can access the rest for my welding skills. Next week, maybe get to looking at that.
I don't know 87 but the 1100 output shaft is identical to 84 1200.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136825#p136825:2dbuojov said:
dan filipi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:52 pm[/url]":2dbuojov]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136823#p136823:2dbuojov said:
ekvh » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:42 pm[/url]":2dbuojov]
I don't know 87 but the 1100 output shaft is identical to 84 1200.
Correcting myself, they are identical fitment to the bearing and shaft seal. Only difference I could see is 1100 has the circlip groove, 1200 does not.

87 got a different output shaft and a different drive shaft, bigger bearings. One guy claims it has beveled gears, but others say it doesn't. Diagrams show two different drive shafts for 87.

So I was interrupted by my first grandson being born, a month early, but 7.6lbs. Looks good. Now, as I was saying, the 87 had a 3 mm larger diameter output shaft. The seller of the motor had no problem agreeing to send me the extra parts.

I am going by pics from cmsnl and OldFogey. They show one shaft with a nut on the end and another without. I found an old post at Saunders saying it was a mid year change. Mine doesn't have the bolt and I think the splines coming out the back are the same as earlier models. It was just the shoulder behind the splines which was enlarged and thus the bearing in the rear cover. I just checked Western Honda's site and it shows the same info. Front bearings the same, rear cover bearing 60x28, earlier years were 60x25. I made an assumption that tge 28&25 were inner race diameter. Looks do-able but we should try and remember this for others who ask. I found another source that said it was the 87 final drive that got different gears and was "smoother."