Dead the Alive

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Under the heading what I did to my wing today, I pretty much disassembled the bike to put on new throttle cables. I thought I had the problem fixed when I lubed them but one of the cables got stuck the other day and I was lucky it was out on a straight highway with no traffic and when the throttle got stuck and revved up I was able to switch it off quickly. Such is the life with the Witch. This bike is a trip.

I want a 1500 so I may look for a buyer this winter for the 1100 and find one. Heaven knows that I have thrown enough parts at this bike that a new owner would almost get a new bike. Next up with be a rebuild of the rear shocks and look into progressives for the front. New windshield next week.

I have a few recommendations:-

If, you need a starter rebuilt, there is no better place than stockersstarters.com

If, you need a battery, check out the Deltran Lithium Ion on Amazon. Awesome battery, and guaranteed 5 years.

And finally, the cheap ass solenoid replacement listed on eBay works perfectly, and has done on my bike for many years.

Let's hope though that you don't have to go the those expenses and it's an easier fix.

I and many others would urge caution on the "cheap-assed" solenoids to be found on eBay.

A common mode of failure on those is the old locked closed (ON) state. You know, when you release the starter button but the DIRECT LINE FROM THE BATTERY TO STARTER is live because the blasted solenoid stuck.

Happened to me. I danged near killed myself getting it disconnected before the starter fried. I posted the tale on another site and a lot of guys chimed in - many of them scolding me for even using the darned things.

CD - you're either lucky or on borrowed time.

I threw mine in the saddlebag just in case I ever need it. It was cheap but you never know. Too bad I can't fit my tool box, set of heads, timing belts, ............ I got it running and stopping good, looks fantastic; now just need for it to be dependable. There is still a lot of good Indiana Fall riding to be done.

Latest posts