Diamond seat from ebay.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnDenny1

Reaction score
I found this on ebay fro $15, and the guy was local so I didn't have to pay shipping. It says Diamond Boat Seats on the bottom. here are a couple of pics.

View media item 2081
The velour is pretty well trashed, but the foam seems to be in good shape.

I called Diamond Seats and the will re-cover it for $250, plus shipping. So I can have a new lookign seat for around $300, which is still cheaper than buying a new one at well over $500.

I found a local custom auto seat upholsterer and he said he could do it in vinyl for about $150-$175.

I really wanted a Russell seat, but I don't seem to have the $700 for that at the moment.

I even thought of trying to stitch one up myself. I could just take the old cover off and use that as a pattern. I'm not sure if my wife would appreciate me sewing heavy vinyl on her sewing machine.

I'll probably go with the local auto seat guy and hopefully that will tide me over till I either get a different bike or get the bucks for the Russell seat.

I think it's pretty cool I could have a new looking Diamond seat for my 1100 for under $200.

I would go with the local guy, Diamond's price seams way out there and I like to support local businesses.
Say what would he charge for a nice UV/weather resistant cloth material?
There's a local guy here quoted me $150, worth a check with your guy.

I covered mine myself. Marine quality vinyl run me around $15 a yard. It's by no means perfect, but I have the satisfaction of saying I did it myself. I even had my sister embroider "Honda" onthe back like the original heat stamp.

Here's the before:
seatbeforerecover.jpg

And the after:
seatafterrecover2.jpg

Diamond seats are one of the best seats made, I've had one on my XS1100 for over 12 years and it's still good for 12 hour days. The only problem buying a used one is that they are made to fit the original customer and if you are not the same height and weight you may not get the full benefit of having one.

That seat looks really good. I don't think I have the skill nor the patience to do that. But I guess if it's cheap enough to buy the vinyl and I screw it up I'm not too bad off. I may give it a try. The $150 isn't so easy to come up with either.

I know the Diamond is custom fitted, but it does feel better than the stock seat which isn't too bad either. I am going to ride on it a few times as is and see if I like it or not. If not I may put it back on ebay. If me and my wife decide it is comfy then I will get it recovered.

Take care all,

Hey Cap't... buy some of that tool drawer liner that looks like cottage cheese in a fishnet and place that across the seat.. some one may have been real judicious with amouralling the seat and you get to slip and slide.. that will stop it for the testing..