Diehard Battery with 7 cells

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering why there are 6 cells on my battery, all in row as usual but there is an "extra" cap offset from the row of 6 just about at the mid section of the battery making what appears to be a 7 cell battery.
Its old and came with the bike so I dont know its history.
Is it a cell that requires distilled water like all the rest or is it an overflow of some sort?
Thanks for any help
Phil

It's a metric battery.... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
I gots a buddy that werks for a battery manufacturer..if I can find a good pic of one like that, I'll see what he says. :read:

here are three pics

Attachments

• 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 112.JPG
    112.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 113.JPG
    113.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 167
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: oh my mike ....they do ...sheeesh .... :smilie_happy: this is to good :smilie_happy: im taking the fifth again :heat: you you think the answer would have came before now :hihihi:

Extra hole is for the insertion of a battery condition sensor . I use a Bosch made battery and it does not have this 7th cap.

With a fully charged battery and correct specific gravity each cell should show no more than 2.2 volts . This gives a total reading of 13.2 volts for a fully charged battery. Hence the charging from the generator , via the reg/rectifier , should read approximately 13.5 . This allows for a constant slight charge to maintain battery condition. Most bikes show a figure of between 13.5 and 14.5 when in normal use with lights on.

Just a thought - hope it helps.