Do I have bad Ignition Coils?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poohman

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking for some feed back on a problem with my GL1200 Aspencade. I think that my coil pack is bad. Here is what I know so far. The front 2 exhaust pipes are barely warm after a few minutes of start up and have took out the spark plug grounded it and hooked it up to the wire (at Night) to see if I could see a spark from he plug. NO Spark! Any other suggestions on what to check next or is the ingition coil? Thanks for all the advise.

Would both front wire go bad at the same time. and the answer the the other question. Yes is spitts and spudders like there is no power at all.

Not likely but it is possible. Check the wire connections to the coils. Somethimes just disconnecting and reconnecting all the connectors restores use. Will the front plugs fire if you put them in the rear cylinders.

It is possible for both front cylinders to not have spark due to a bad coil. The left coil fires the rear 2 cylinders and the right coil fires the 2 front cylinders. There is a resistance check that can be performed on the primary and secondary winding's of the coil and it is outlined in the repair manuals.

Attachments

• GL1200 Cylinder Wing Coil Wiring.jpg
    GL1200 Cylinder Wing Coil Wiring.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 123