Does a 1996 Interstate have reverse?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a year or two only when they offered a 1500 interstate with no reverse as well as lacking a few other options.

I believe 96 falls in there someplace.

Sorry, I found the answer and should have posted it here. :oops:

The Interstate was reintroduced into the Goldwing lineup in 1991 and was available through 1996. It lacked reverse, on-board compressor, cruise control and a number of other features available on the GL Aspencade & SE models.

shuter":2kq67mq3 said:
Sorry, I found the answer and should have posted it here. :oops:

The Interstate was reintroduced into the Goldwing lineup in 1991 and was available through 1996. It lacked reverse, on-board compressor, cruise control and a number of other features available on the GL Aspencade & SE models.

The word was "reintroduced"

Honda had dropped the Interstate model for a few years. Looks like 1988, 1989, 1990.

to answer the question. no, a 96 interstate does not have reverse. once the 1500's were split into the interstate, aspencade, and se ( what ever year that happened ) the interstate was the base modle without reverse or compressor. aspencades and 1500se have reverse

I know this is not the question here .......but ..... NOW ..... are all Goldwings ( Just a Goldwing ) I stop by the Honda shop near here and I don't see any badges on them that says anything except Goldwing.

I think the new ones go by the option package names, Sat Nav, etc....at least that's what I gather from the bike magazines. Who knows? :headscratch:
I would certainly LOVE to have a reverse on mine....boy would I ever! :heat:

AApple":1ptfd38u said:
I think the new ones go by the option package names, Sat Nav, etc....at least that's what I gather from the bike magazines. Who knows? :headscratch:
Our starters are DC. If we could safely reverse the polarity, we would have reverse! (Of course, we would need more battery power so that it would not die while backing the bike up.)

mcgovern61":gq83bxyu said:
AApple":gq83bxyu said:
Our starters are DC. If we could safely reverse the polarity, we would have reverse! (Of course, we would need more battery power so that it would not die while backing the bike up.)

Well, yeah, but....whaddya gonna do about the start clutch/sprag? It only engages in one direction...
Dang these details!! :head bang:

:smilie_happy:

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy: :clapping: :smilie_happy: :ahem:

scdmarx":107o2u4y said:
Both my wings have reverse.
Left, right, left, right, left, right, and works best when backing in downhill mode.

Since I had my little "Incident" 3 years ago with the spiral fracture with total knee dislocation and ligament damage, I have trouble backing up over a garden hose in the driveway. When parking, I look for places that I can back out of downhill until I can find a 1500 with reverse.

SteveA-wing":2iw7su4m said:
Since I had my little "Incident" 3 years ago with the spiral fracture with total knee dislocation and ligament damage, I have trouble backing up over a garden hose in the driveway. When parking, I look for places that I can back out of downhill until I can find a 1500 with reverse.

I don't even have all those problems and I still have to park where I can hopefully pull out forward. Duckwalking a GW just ain't an easy thing to do no matter what kinda shape you're in. I wish you a solution soon, whatever it turns out to be.

I was at a little country store a week or two ago , 2 guys in thier 50's or 60's pulled in on two matching Goldwing 1500's ... my wife was in the store.... I walked over to look at the bikes and talk to them , they was close friends and had rode together for many years..... but both was saying the Goldwings was about too much for them now.( Turning Around ) .they was saying they loved their Goldwings ........ but ..... . and both was thinking about buying one of the new Silverwing Scooters.

all 1000, 1100, 1200. and 1500 wings use the same battery. its the location of the bolt on the terminal that changed. my 1200 battery cables bolt on from the top and my 1500 battery cables bolt on from the side