drag or not starting problem when hot

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkgoldwing

Reaction score
Hi, my old wing is a really good bike but every once in a while i will ride, stop somewhere for 5 minutes or less and then when i come back it will not start. The start is only a year old as well as the battery. It reminds me of something out of time because he begins to turn over then just hangs up and will not turn any further.

My mechanic said that i should open the throttle about 1/8 of a turn and for a while this works but it didn't the other day...

I know the battery is being charged...when i rolled started it, got it home I slapped a meter on it and it was charging away. The battery has good water levels but this seems to be a theme...

are these bikes known for this and is there a fix?

First thing to do is make sure that all of your connections are tight....but it sounds like the starter may be going out on it. Time for new brushes.

jkgoldwing":2di5oqfq said:
are these bikes known for this and is there a fix?

Unfortunately yes, they are known for this.
They are akin to the old Chevy's that would crank hard when hot because the starter is very close to the exhaust.

Brushes and a cleaning often helps.

:hi: Does it start to turn over then just stops???? I have had that problrn from time to time on many of my rides (that is the ones with electric start) (solved that problem with kick starters...Another beer :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: ) back to the electric starter you might try cleaning the contacts under the starter button...that is one contact that gets corroded and will cause the starter to appear to be the problem only takes a few minutesto remoce and clean could save hours and $$$$. :party: :whistling: :whistling:

Make sure the starter is mounted properly and that the mounting bolts are tight. Mine were loose and all I had to do was lift up on it slightly and it cranked fine. Got it home and tightened things up, good for the last 3 months.

I just finished rebuilding my carbs, and that was one thing I noticed after I shut it down I had to let things cool down before it would restart. Rebuilt the starter earlier so I know that was not the problem, but it seemed like the timing was a bit advanced like it was firing too early, sure would like to know the cause though.

my bike is 1983 interstate. the starter is about a year older. i will check the bolts and make sure it isn't loose. i rode it again today and it started fine but it does seem to sound like a timing issue. however the belts are new and it was timed of course when the new belts were installed two months ago...

Mine does that when it's hot, and has only been off for a few minutes. I have found that cracking the throttle open a bit, and leaving the Kill switch off for the first 3-4 seconds of cranking will get it fired up quickly. If I don't do that, it will dang near run the battery down before it finally spins over. :good:

Mine does the same thing.New battery,I took the starter off and apart,cleaned it ,brushes ok.Now I´m thinking about making some kinda heat shield or maybe wrapping the starter with that stuff you wrap around exhaust headers to keep it cool.It`s just in a bad spot;heat from the engine on one side and exhaust on the other.Has anybody been able to get rid of this problem? :Awe:

Smokey66":wibptj04 said:
Has anybody been able to get rid of this problem? :Awe:

I haven't, not completely but very close.

I bought a new starter from Stockers https://stockers.com/index.php?dt=HS-36N

Said on the box "High Torque". Cost me almost $200 shipped.

When the engine is hot it will still go " wrrr," (stop) then spin fast. Not every time, most times it will spin fast.
With this starter it spins faster than the old one. I've been pleased with it so far.

Like Aapple said, with the old starter what would help sometimes is putting the kill switch to off, hit the start button then move kill switch to on and start.