eBay Stuff for a 1500?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcol

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been quiet on this forum so I thought I would ask a couple of questions about two items for the 1500 that I've seen on eBay.

First - Front fork stabilizer - Looks like a nicely machined piece of aluminum that spans across both front forks. I've never seen a post about the front forks of this bike needing bracing up but since someone went to the trouble to make this piece I'm wondering if anyone has used it and if it makes a difference? BTW the front forks on my bike seem fine.

The second item is a small plug that goes into the little holes that are in the lower part of the rubber pieces the seals the mirrors to the fairing. First I'm not sure why the little oblong holes are there in first place and second I don't know if I need them plugged or not? Comments?

I wouldn't worry about the fork brace. If the bike truly needed it, it would come from the factory that way. The 1200's, at least my 84 aspy has a factory brace. There is also an after market brace available for the 1000's. If the 1000's are going to be loaded up with all types of aftermarket accessories to turn them into a touring machine I think the brace is a good idea as the 1000's were not designed for all the weight that some people add to them. However, the 1500 is designed to support all it has so I would not throw any money at it.

As far as the plugs for the mirrors, also I would not worry about that. Personally I think having a small hole at the bottom would work as a weep hole to expel any moisture that may get into the mirror mount, so I would not want to plug that up. I would chalk both of these items up to ppl just trying to make a buck where they can. Literally any open space on a GL 1500-1800 there is someone making a plug, trim, or chrome doo-dad to fill it in.

If you ride it " like you stole it" I would reconmend the fork brace as they can improve performance on many sports bikes etc during extreme cornering on uneven surfaces.

I have the fork brace, as for not needing it "if it didn't come from the factory," they are made for every Goldwing(and many other bikes) out there and they did come stock on the 1200(right?). Lot's of people prefer having one, I like mine and feel better knowing it's there. As for the other thing could you post a link for it, sometimes I have to be spoonfed stuff. :Doh2:

~O~

Have had a Super Brace on my 1500 since the first or second set of tires, a much needed upgrade. :yes: Bought one as soon as i saw one was made to fit my 91, :good: had put a rather ugly but functional fork brace's on my previously owned 81's, & was pleased with their functioning. Blackwing makes a nicer 1500 fork brace, fits better, & might cost less. :read:

Replaced mine as liked the design of the Blackwing better, than the Super Brace. Which looked like new as far as wear was concerned, forks were in good shape as well with over 110+thousand miles on them, with the brace. Look up the write ups on them, not a lot of cash,tires will wear better, more even, with less cupping has been my experience, over stock, but the suspension had been upgraded to Progressive before as well. :salute:

Not a 1500 but my 85 GL1200I had the factory fork brace and a pretty good steering wobble that happened immediately if I took hands off the bars. I put a SuperBrace on mine at the same time I changed the front tire and the wobble is gone. I did change from a VeeTwin tire to a Metzler ME88 but I do not think as long as the old tire was balanced (it was) that changing the tire would affect the wobble, although it did affect the handling.

Steering head bearings as well, are very likely suspect, check out wear parts in forks,change oil,check springs,seals,etc. :salute:

Many feel the Blackwing is a better brace machined to closer tolerance so fits tighter and holds the forks in postion better..than the Superbrace. Some who have had both said they can tell the difference..